Parental leave

Parental leave makes it possible for an employee to temporarily work less in order to care for his or her child or children. Both parents are entitled to parental leave.


You may apply for parental leave for children up to the age of eight. Parental leave can be applied for separately for each child. You are also entitled to parental leave if you have an adopted child, a foster child or stepchild residing in your home. To be eligible paid parental leave, however, you must have been employed at Erasmus University Rotterdam for at least one year and parental leave for the child concerned cannot already have been taken at a previous employer.

Duration of the parental leave

You are entitled to parental leave of, at most, 26 x the length of the working week. For example, if you work 32 hours per week, you are entitled to a total of 32 x 26 = 832 hours of parental leave. The parental leave is divided into two parts, each part consists of 13 x the weekly working hours. The first part is paid, the second part is unpaid.

Spreading or splitting parental leave

The parental leave scheme is in principle based on the assumption that you will continue working for half of the working week during the leave. If this does not suit your particular situation, you may opt to take additional or fewer parental leave hours per week for a correspondingly shorter or longer period of time. You may also opt to split your leave entitlement into several periods. The maximum number of periods is six and each period must be for at least one month. Please note that you require the permission of your manager to spread or split your parental leave.

Salary during parental leave

During the first part of parental leave, you will receive 62.5% of your salary for a maximum of 13 x the weekly working hours. If you decide to take the remaining part of your legal entitlement to a leave, then this second part is unpaid.
The regulations relating to paid parental leave are more extensive. For more information, visit the government website (Dutch only)

Parental leave in the event of termination of employment

If you resign or you are dismissed from your job as a result of your actions during parental leave or within six months after the leave, you will have to repay the remuneration that you received in the context of this leave.

Parental leave and other schemes

  • Pension: your pension accrual continues normally during parental leave. The division of contributions remains the same during the period of the paid parental leave. During the unpaid leave period, you will have to pay both the employer’s share and the employee’s share of the contribution to your pension scheme.
  • Illness: parental leave is not suspended in case of illness or incapacity for work. You will receive the same salary as during your parental leave.
  • Holidays: you do not accrue any holidays during the parental leave.
  • Commuting allowance: your commuting allowance is based on the actual working days.

Applying for parental leave

Your application for parental leave must be submitted to your manager in writing at least two months before the intended starting date of your leave (click here for the application form). The application must contain the following information:

  • The period of the leave;
  • The number of hours of leave per week;
  • The distribution of the leave hours across the week.

Parental leave as such cannot be refused. However, up to four weeks prior to the start of your leave and in consultation with you, your manager may change the distribution of the hours across the week or the requested splitting of the periods. In this case, your manager must give compelling reasons that are demonstrably in the interest of the work.

Parental leave for partners at the birth of a child

When your partner gives birth, you may take three days unpaid parental leave besides the existing paid leave. However, this leave is deducted from the total unpaid parental leave of 13 x the hours per week as specified in “Duration of the parental leave”.

Please contact your HR department if you have any questions.