Alumni FAQ

A traineeship is a training programme for those who just graduated to prepare them for their future careers. Traineeships often are 2-year programmes that focus on providing graduates new skills and work experience. It often is a mix of on-job learning (in the workplace) and off-job learning (workshops, online trainings or in a classroom). Trainees are usually accompanied by a mentor or senior manager and are hired on a full time basis.


A traineeship is different from an internship in several ways:

  • Traineeships often are longer term than internships. Internships usually take between 3-6 months, whereas traineeships generally are approximately 2 years (this varies per organisation).
  • Internships are more temporary positions than traineeships. The expectation for traineeships is that you will have a job upon completing the programme. Internships typically are for shorter periods and prepare you less intensively for starting a job immediately after.
  • The pay for a traineeship is greater than with an internship. During a traineeship, you get paid while you learn, it basically is tied to paid employment. Internships are more about gaining some work experience and do not provide a salary you can live off.

The term ‘PhD’ stands for ‘Doctor of Philosophy’. Despite the name, this does not mean you necessarily need to study philosophy! A PhD is an advanced academic degree that is based on three or more years of independent research on a specific topic. It is a postgraduate degree. During a PhD, you conduct your research under supervision of an academic supervisor. It is the highest academic degree a student can achieve. Our faculty offers the Research Master Sociology of Culture, Media and the Arts, which is a good stepping stone to a PhD at the Erasmus Research Centre for Media, Communication and Culture (ERMeCC).

Within 3 years after completing your studies, international students can apply for an orientation year during which you may work freely or do an internship or traineeship in the Netherlands without your employer having to apply for a work permit for hiring you. You do need to apply for the orientation year.

If you leave NL, your residence permit should be returned to the IND. There are 2 possible ways:

  1. You can hand in your residence permit card at the IND Front Office. Call 0880 430 430 to make an appointment. You will receive a proof of submission and a colour copy of your residence permit card;
  2. You can send your residence permit to the address below. Make sure that your residence permit is not valid anymore. This can be done by perforating or cutting your residence permit partially.  

Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst, Bureau Documenten
Postbus 7025, 8007 HA Zwolle
The Netherlands

If you are no longer enrolled, we will notify the IND. The IND will give you 3 months after the graduation date or until the expiry date on your card, whichever comes first.

Examples of validity of permit after graduation:

  • If you were enrolled at EUR until 31 August 2021 then your residence permit will be valid until 30 November 2021.
  • If you graduated on the 31st Of May 2021, then your permit is valid until 31st of August 2021, even if your permit expiration date is 30 November 2021.
  • If you graduated in August and your permit is valid until the end of September, then your permit will expire in September since the expiration date of your card comes earlier.

If you want to stay in the Netherlands and work or do an internship, then make sure to apply for an orientation year.

All non-EU/EEA students who are in the possession of a Dutch student residence permit need to consider a number of additional rules and regulations when they want to work or do an internship in the Netherlands.

Vergelijk @count opleiding

  • @title

    • Tijdsduur: @duration
Vergelijk opleidingen