Deborah Castro is a Marie Sk?odowska-Curie Research Fellow at the Department of Arts and Culture Studies at Erasmus University Rotterdam. Her main research interests lie in the fields of audience and television studies.
Deborah received her doctorate in Communication at Autonomous University of Barcelona (awarded
cum laude) in 2015 sponsored by the Spanish Government. During her Ph.D., she was a researcher with the Ibero-American Observatory of Television Fiction, and participated in several funded research projects with the Observatory of Spanish Television Fiction and New Technologies.
In 2014, she was a Visiting Scholar at the Department of Radio-Television-Film, The University of Texas at Austin. She moved to Portugal in 2016 as a Post-Doctoral researcher at Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute. There, she designed and coordinated a project at the junction of human computer interaction and media studies, focusing on the exploration of the binge-watching experience. She was also a Visiting Assistant Professor at University of Madeira (2017-2018) where she taught master’s students of Interactive Media Design, and a lecturer at the Department of Media and Communication at Erasmus University Rotterdam (2018-2020).
Her work has been presented at several international venues, such as the annual conferences of the
International Communication Association and the Society for Cinema and Media Studies. Her
research has been published in peer-reviewed journals such as Revista Latina de Comunicación Social (2018) and International Journal of Communication (2018), Critical Studies in Television (2019, and Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies (2019).
Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication
- Burg. Oudlaan 50, Rotterdam
- Deborah Castro Marino, Sangkyun Kim & Guy Assaker (2023) - An empirical examination of the antecedents of residents’ support for future film tourism development - Tourism Management Perspectives, 45 - doi: 10.1016/j.tmp.2022.101067 - [link]
- Jorge Nieto-Ferrando, Beatriz Gómez-Morales & Deborah Castro Marino (2023) - Audiovisual Fiction, Tourism, and Audience Studies: A literature review - Review of Communication Research, 11, 88-126 - [link]
- Deborah Castro Marino (2022) - Beyond the Giralda: Residents’ interpretations of the Seville portrayed in fictional movies and TV series - European Journal of Cultural Studies, 26 (4), 1-18 - doi: 10.1177/13675494221112967 - [link]
- Alana Hendrikx & Deborah Castro (2022) - Netflix’s community relationship management.: An analysis of its Facebook-USA page - Journal of Media Business Studies, 19 (2), 108-125 - doi: 10.1080/16522354.2021.1932396 - [link]
- Deborah Castro Marino (2021) - Platforms and Race:: Exploring the Interpretation of Dear White People - [link]
- José A. Cordeiro, Deborah Castro, Valentina Nisi & Nuno J. Nunes (2021) - BWDAT: A research tool for analyzing the consumption of VOD content at home - Addictive Behaviors Reports, 13 - doi: 10.1016/j.abrep.2020.100336 - [link]
- Deborah Castro Marino & C Cascajosa (2020) - Movistar+ and Netflix in Spain: competitors and partners - [link]
- Michael Wayne & Deborah Castro Marino (2020) - SVOD Global Expansion in Cross-National Comparative Perspective: Netflix in Israel and Spain - Television & New Media, 1-18 - doi: 10.1177/1527476420926496 - [link]
- Deborah Castro Marino (2020) - Élite: la ficción teen española que juega en la NBA
- Deborah Castro Marino & C Cascajosa (2020) - From Netflix to Movistar+: How Subscription Video-on-Demand Services Have Transformed Spanish TV Production - Journal of Cinema and Media Studies, 59 (3), 154-160 - doi: 10.1353/cj.2020.0019