The Netherlands Helsinki Committee is looking for an intern
The Netherlands Helsinki Committee is currently looking for a motivated, well-organised student or graduate for the position of:
Intern: Human Rights Defenders Programme (0,6 fte)
About the NHC
The Netherlands Helsinki Committee is a non-governmental organisation that promotes human rights and strengthens the rule of law and democracy in all countries of Europe, including the Central Asian countries participating in the OSCE.
Our work lies primarily in executing projects to strengthen legal protection and improve public policies that affect vulnerable or disadvantaged groups. We support human rights NGOs to withstand governmental pressure. Additionally, we work to improve the implementation of OSCE human dimension commitments and other international human rights agreements. We take active part in several civil society networks of human rights NGOs and civil society in Europe. The NHC office is located in The Hague.
We are looking for an intern to join our team for a period of 4 to 6 months.
- Carry out exploratory research;
- Compile and edit narrative reports;
- Provide administrative support in compiling and processing financial reports;
- Provide all-round assistance in preparation of (international) meetings and write up minutes and reports of the events;
- Communicate with partners, vendors and other relevant parties; Monitor media and regional developments on the topics of: freedom of association, human rights defenders, civil and political rights.
Qualifications and skills
- Bachelor degree in Human Rights/ International Law;
- Demonstrated affinity with civil society work or activism for social change, awareness of recent human rights trends and developments;
- An eye for detail, good administrative and organisational skills;
- Hands-on mentality, ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment and switch between tasks;
- Good writing skills;
- Excellent command of the English and the Dutch language;
- Good command of the Turkish and/ or the Russian language;
- Knowledge of the OSCE region is an asset, in particular, knowledge of the Eurasia region, including Turkey, Eastern Europe and Central Asia.
The internship is unpaid, but a lunch and travel allowance is provided.
If you are interested, please send your resume, a writing sample and a short motivation to: email@example.com. Please mention “Internship: Human Rights Defenders Programme” in the subject of your email.