Research Programmes and more
Five research programmes
Erasmus School of Law aims at having an international and interdisciplinary profile with a strong social and business-driven orientation. This is reflected in the set-up and substance of the five research programmes and in the academic background of the researchers affiliated to ESL.
- Behavioural Approaches to Contract and Tort: Relevance for Policymaking (BACT)
- Monitoring Safety and Security (MSS)
- Rethinking the Rule of Law in an Era of Globalisation, Privatisation and Multiculturalisation (RRL)
- Fiscal Autonomy and its Boundaries (FA)
- Lex Mercatoria: Globalising Business Law in the 21st century (LM)
European Doctorate in Law and Economics (EDLE)
EDLE is an excellence programme sponsored by the European Commission under the Erasmus Mundus scheme. It offers the unique opportunity to study Law and Economics on a PhD-level in (at least) three different countries. The programme prepares economists and lawyers of high promise for an academic career in a research field of growing importance or for responsible positions in government, research organizations and international consulting groups.
Erasmus China Law Centre (ECLC)
The Erasmus School of Law has been engaged for many years in a number of research and educational activities with Chinese law schools and other institutions. In order to further structure and reinforce these relations, the Erasmus China Law Centre will expand the capacity of teaching and research on Chinese law, increase our competitiveness in instigating Chinese law-related projects, and strengthen our advisory work to the government and business community. The ECLC is part of the Erasmus School of Law. From November 2010 the Erasmus China Law Centre has been engaged in the selection process and reviewing of PhD/CSC applications from China.
The Erasmus PhD Association Rotterdam (EPAR) was founded in 1993 under the former name “InterFacultair AIO-Overleg Rotterdam” (IFAR). Since its foundation EPAR has been exerting itself to protect the interests of all PhD researchers at the Erasmus University (EUR). EPAR’s mission is to help create an Erasmus University that provides an even more attractive and inspiring working and research climate for its PhD researchers.
PhD in Law Association Rotterdam (PILAR)
PILAR is the association of PhD researchers of the Erasmus School of Law. It aims at making PhD researchers’ social life as pleasant as possible and contributes to building a productive environment and useful network. Current PhD researchers are welcome to check out the PILAR channel or contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org
What does PILAR do?
- Represents the Erasmus School of Law PhD Candidates within the University and in the Faculty
- Cooperates with EGSL on joint initiatives
- Organises monthly PhD drinks (every last Thursday of the month)
- Organises the annual Happy New Year-dinner
- Organises the PILAR Summer-dinner
- Organises other non-regular social activities
PILAR also maintains contact with EPAR (Association of all the PhD researchers of the Erasmus University Rotterdam) and keeps Law PhD researchers updated on the EPAR activities, including the PhD of the Year Award.
All Erasmus School of Law PhD researchers are ‘automatically’ PILAR-members, but in order to stay up to date on our activities we ask you to subscribe to the PILAR-Channel on SIN-online and join PILAR’s group on Facebook. If you have any suggestions for future PILAR activities, let us know by email below or tell us in person. PhD researchers who are interested to become active in the PILAR Board can contact us directly for more information or have a look at the PhD Guide 2016. We hope to meet you at one of the PILAR activities!
PILAR was founded in December 1987.
Current board: ...
former Boards of PILAR
- 2015/2016 Marnix Hebly, Teun van Ruitenburg, Myrto Vasili, Aspasia Karampetsou, Cheng Bian
- 2014/2015 Qiqi Fu, Martijn Schippers, Ilja Tillema
- 2013/2014 Renate Buijze, Randolf van Lambalgen, Anna Sting, Erlis Themeli, Xiao Xun
- 2012/2013 Ekaterina Pannebakker, Bart Bootsma, Ryan Gauthier, Alina Ontanu
- 2011/2012 Aubrich Bakhuis, Susan Niessen, Petra Gyongyi, Sergio Mittlaender Leme da Souza
- 2010/2011 Emmanuel Lokin, Stephan Geense, Laura van Bochove, Vaia Karapanou
- 2009/2010 Niels van Zijl, Urszula Jaremba, Melis van der Wulp, Tomas Arons
- 2008/2009 Bas Hengstmengel, Maarten Mussche, Sanne Pape
- 2007/2008 Pascal Kruit, Hanneke Luth, Jacob Giltaij, Marjolein Busstra
- 2001/2003 Jeroen ten Voorde, Miranda Koevoets
- 1998/1999 Bo van Zuijlen, Floor Koot, Dylan Otto, Gabry Vanderveen