The copyright agreement
The Copyright agreement
As agreed by VSNU, NUV and IPRO, the EUR pays a fixed annual fee to Stichting PRO to enable lecturers to distribute ‘short parts’ (‘korte overnames’) of copyrighted material to students. What counts as a ‘short part’ depends on the type of work:
1. Non-literary books: a short part is at most 10 000 words or at most 1/3 of the total number of words in the book, whichever is shorter.
2. Journals and other periodicals with non-literary content: a short part is at most 8 000 words or at most 1/3 of the total number of words in the journal or periodical, whichever is shorter.
3. Literary work: a short part is at most 100 lines of poetry or 2 500 words of prose, or at most 1/10 of the total number of words in the original work, whichever is shorter.
Not everything can be split into parts. The agreement also allows lecturers to distribute:
4. Graphs, tables, schema’s, etc., as long as there are no more than 25 of those from one original work.
5. Pictures and illustrations, as long as there are no more than 25 of those from one original work.
If you would like to check how many words a text contains, you can use the word counter on the website of Stichting PRO. Note that you need to add 200 words per figure, table, and graph to the total number of words that the counter indicates.
In case you would like to use materials that are not covered by the agreement, there are multiple options. It could be that the University Library has access to the material in question. In that case, you can provide students with a link to the material – not the actual material, because we are not allowed to host it. It could be that in case of your own work, you have made an agreement with the publisher that allows you to use the text involved for teaching. Even if all this does not apply, the Programmes Director can decide to allocate a budget to a course that covers the copyright fees. That can be arranged easily with the Reader Repository.
For those who want to know more on the agreement between the VSNU, NUV, and IPRO, please check out the agreement documents on the website of Stichting Pro.