Minor E-Marketing: Marketing Strategies for Future Success
Current facets (Pre-Master)
- Broadening minor
Technology is increasingly accepted as a part of our society, as an infrastructure connecting people, companies and countries. More and more people choose to live independently and single; this brings fundamental changes into the community. Consumers want to be increasingly involved, to live and experience everything, making their own choices. But are organizations ready for that? What do customers want? It is a time of disruption; what will change for companies, value change and customers? What will the future bring; opportunities and threats of disruption. A close analyses will be made of further developments like platforms, IoT, conversational hardware and block chain opportunities.
- Data driven organizations as new disruptors
- New technologies and future developments
- The impact of MSP, multi sided platforms
- Supply chain management, VMI, partnerships and ‘collaborations’
- Changes in marketing, product development and marketing communication
- Changes in relations between companies and opportunities for the future
- How can you anticipate all these changes? How can you run a successful business?
- Home shopping, possibilities, strategies and cultural differences
- New business models, how to make money on the internet
- Retailing, on-line buying, and new marketing models
- The impact of internet and mobile on the buying process of customers
- What impact will the internet have on marketing, strategies, communication and channels?
- How can you be successful on internet, understanding the buyer
- The future of shopping and shops
- New business models and developments.
- The impact of disruption
Upon completion of this course, students will be well-informed about the consequences that IT and the internet have for marketing and sales. Students will have in-depth knowledge of the buying behavior of consumers and companies, as well as a good idea about appropriate business models. The course will provide knowledge of direct communication and direct marketing. In general, students will acquire a strategic view of developments in marketing, e-marketing and distance selling. Special attention for new developments like IoT, conversational hardware and platform strategies. Students will know what future developments will be and the impact on business models and processes
Good knowledge of the English language is required, as well as knowledge of marketing theory. The course is based on English literature and all classes are in English. Proactive learning by actual subjects and discussions in class require English understanding and verbal knowledge. Actual articles and developments will be discussed. Active participation in class is needed: discussions and breakout sessions. This course is part of a contextual learning process in which participation of students is required.
This program is useful for students who wish to add to their knowledge of information management and marketing, as well as those who seek extended knowledge and the skills to use the latest academic views and publications to interpret the developments. What is going on in the internet world, how to be successful on internet and what do customers want and do? Practical presentations of successful internet companies and reach among shoppers are part of this (exciting and up-to-date) minor. Is the disruption a threat or an opportunity? Interpreting changes and strategic thinking are key assets. The classical marketing theory is analyzed and the new marketing approach is discussed.
In-class contribution, assignment presentations, group research paper, personal analysis and research assignments on a weekly basis about actual topics.
This interactive, inspirational Minor considers the influence of all these social, sociological and technological changes on organizations, marketing and relations. Through discussion and by performing research in small groups, students will explore current themes, together searching for the essence of the changes and the boundaries of the possibilities for the future. All classes are based on video input and actual developments and articles. Presentations of companies like Coolblue, Cap Gemini, GFK market research will add to the practical approach of this minor.
Relevant current articles to be announced.
Method of examination
The course will be completed with an assignment on a relevant subject. This paper should be about 30 pages and consists of: theory research, practical research. This is a group assignment for 2 students per project
1. The paper is marked and counts for 30% of the final grade.
2. Final test on computer counts for 70% of the final grade.
In class contribution will be taken into account as a bonus on top of the overall result.
Composition final grade
1. The paper is graded and counts for 30% of the final grade
2. Final test on computer counts for 70% of the final grade
In class contribution will be taken into account as a bonus on top of the overall result. The minimum grade for the computer test is 4,5.
Traditional channels and Canvas facilities will be used to communicate with students. A special Facebook account is a major source for interaction.
- Broadening minor
- Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
- Studiepunten (ECTS)
- Campus Woudestein, Rotterdam