The Netherlands Helsinki Committee (NHC) | Communications Intern
The Netherlands Helsinki Committee is a non-governmental organisation that promotes human rights and strengthens the rule of law and democracy in all countries of Europe, including the Central Asian countries participating in the OSCE.
Our work lies primarily in executing projects to strengthen legal protection and improve public policies that affect vulnerable or disadvantaged groups. We support human rights NGOs to withstand governmental pressure. Additionally, we work to improve the implementation of OSCE human dimension commitments and other international human rights agreements. We take active part in several civil society networks of human rights NGOs and civil in Europe. The NHC has an office located in The Hague.
- Write and edit texts for the website of NHC, the Facebook page and Twitter.
- Communicate with partners and other relevant parties;
- Monitor media and regional developments on the topics of security and human rights.
- Participate in the daily functions of the NHC and general communication activities e.g. writing newsletters, assisting in organizing events and the like.
Qualifications and skills
- Bachelor or Master degree in Human Rights / International Law / Political Science / International Relations / Journalism or Social Sciences;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Excellent command of the English language. We are(preferably) looking for a native speaker.
- Demonstrated affinity with civil society work or activism for social change, awareness of recent human rights trends and developments;
- An eye for detail, good writing and organisational skills;
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment and switch between tasks;
- Resourcefulness, initiative and hands-on mentality;
- Strong communication skills and inter-cultural sensitivity;
- Knowledge of the OSCE region is an asset, in particular, knowledge of Eastern Europe and Central Asia.
Length & period
This is a vacancy for 24 hours per week – depending on your availability – and will be for a period of 4-6 months. We offer an opportunity to experience the internal workings of a European human rights NGO and gain practical skills in event preparation, research and reporting. Travel and lunch expenses will be reimbursed.
If you are interested, please send your resume, a writing sample and a short motivation to: RVisscher@nhc.nl. Please mention “Communications intern” in the subject of your email.
We are looking for someone who can start as soon as possible.