9 places to be on King's Day
Finally, King's Day is just around the corner! The 27th of April is perhaps the most cheerful – and definitely the most orange – holiday of the year. Trust us, international students, if you’ve never experienced it, it’s unlike anything you’ve ever seen. If you’re smart enough to avoid the masses in our nation’s capital and stay in Rotterdam, here are some tips on how to spend the day.
- Crownfestival (Kroonfestival): Organised by students, right next to the Erasmus Bridge. Expect house and deep house by DJs Tapesh, Sluwe Vos B2B Benny Rodrigues, Michel de Hey, and Wouter S.
- Oranjebitter Rotterdam: Not that into the deep house thing? Although the line-up’s still a secret, it’ll probably be classic 80s, 90s, disco, and hip hop. This year's theme is Kingpin.
- S’Oranje Festival: Extra large this year! Three stages – with a roof, so no rain will spoil this party. Shake your booty to big names on the house & urban scene, like Afrojack.
- Kralingse Bos Festival: Just around the corner from the university. Loads of gold and entertainment for everyone on five different stages with names like Girls Goin’ Wild & Filthy Tunes.
- Market: Stroll around the streets where people are selling their old stuff, from clothes to music and everything in between.
- The Night of Orange: The night before King’s Day, commonly known as King’s Night, has some great stuff to offer as well. Enjoy some Dutch tunes at Ahoy Rotterdam, for example.
- Hotel New York: The terrace transforms into a free open-air dancefloor with a view of the river.
- The Fruitport (Fruithaven): Check out the King's Night party in this brand new club. And it's a very special club: the interior is made with the biggest 3D-printer in Europe and the club actually generates energy with leftovers! Ain’t no party like a sustainable one.
- Royal Rollerdisco: Low on cash? There’s a free rollerdisco at Katendrecht. When you’re done skating you can enjoy live music and grab a bargain at the flea market.
If you liked this article, you might also like these: