Master in Urban Management and Development (UMD)
Master of Science in Urban Management and Development (MSc)
At IHS, we love urban. Do you? Take your urban expertise one step further and become a city-changer with this 12 month Master of Science in Urban Management and Development.
This programme combines theory with practice and provides a thorough understanding of the powers at work in cities. By delving deeper into inter-connected urban fields, participants will be able to understand the complexities that shape cities and gain valuable skills they can apply in different urban contexts. Through its comprehensive approach, this MSc integrates research insights and advisory experience of the IHS academic staff from all over the world, thus ensuring a strong connection between urban realities and theoretical frameworks.
Why study a Master in Urban Management and Development?
- Truly international environment: participants, lecturers and case studies from all over the world.
- Multidisciplinary approach in theory and practice.
- Six different specialisations to cater the programme to your specific interest.
- Joint courses with partners from the public and private sector and expertise from various international educational institutes.
- Challenging combination of academic research, practical workshops and case studies and educational training.
- Access to an expansive professional network (more than 8000 alumni worldwide) of graduates of IHS, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- A solid base for a wide range of career opportunities as an urban professional.
- Inspiring campus and study facilities in the heart of Europe.
- Master of Science degree from a university with competitive high ranking academic credentials.
This MSc-programme prepares students for career positions both in the private and public sector, international organizations, consultancy firms, advisory boards, and other government institutions. Our alumni include businessmen, ministers, mayors, successful consultants and renowned NGO activists. The programme also offers a solid basis to pursue a PhD.
Read more about: Career opportunities Master in Urban Management and Development.
- Analyse and evaluate trends and theories in urban development within a global context.
- Argue the need for an innovative multi-actor and multidisciplinary approach in urban management.
- Analyse urban problems, assess development potential and propose innovative strategies and policies based on applied research.
- Apply practical skills as a policymaker, researcher, consultant or manager.
The curriculum first lays down a foundation based on its main disciplines: urban theory, planning and governance, economics and urban sociology. Themes in the specialization phase include, Self-Organizing Cities, Urban Sustainability and Climate Change, Sustainable Urban Infrastructure, Land Value Capture, Urban Competitiveness and Resilience and Dynamic Urban Neighbourhoods.
We believe that a strong understanding of concepts and theoretical framework goes hand in hand with a rich practical experience, helping you assimilate a problem-solving approach. You will learn from highly skilled lecturers and guest lecturers from all over the world, through a unique methodology of real case study analyses, games and class debates.
Our quickly urbanising world is in need of people who can make cities work. IHS is looking for highly motivated students from diverse backgrounds that have a passion for cities and are interested in
enhancing their professional knowledge and researching the combination of urban theory and practice.
- A bachelor's degree from a recognised university or similar institute in a related field.
- Evidence of a sufficient oral and written command of the English language.
- Convincing motivation to become an urban professional/ manager and research (MSc thesis) interest in the domain of urban management and development.
- Working experience in relevant fields is preferred.
- Intercultural skills
Read more about: Admission criteria Master in Urban Management and Development.
To apply, please go to www.ihs.nl/login. Through this online application system please upload certified copies of diplomas and degrees, language test results (IELTS or TOEFL), cv, passport/ ID, motivation statement and if possible two reference letters.
Read more about: Application Master in Urban Management and Development.
You can choose between six different specialisations that provide ample choices for you to go in-depth in your field of study. Participants are confronted with a multidisciplinary approach to their area of specialization. The group size of each specialisation course is limited, to enable interactive learning.
|Managing and Financing Urban Infrastructure (MFUI)||Full-time||n/a|
|Urban Housing and Livelihoods (UHL) ||Full-time||n/a|
|Urban Environment and Climate Change (UECC) ||Full-time||n/a|
|Urban Strategies and Planning (USP) ||Full-time||n/a|
|Urban Land Governance (ULG)||Full-time||n/a|
|Urban Competitiveness and Resilience (UCR)||Full-time||n/a|