Port Management and Logistics - Study trip
From 19 till 22 January 2015 a group of 17 students and professors from Catholic University Santos visited the Erasmus University and the port of Rotterdam. In cooperation with the Business and Exchange School Sao Paulo, a one week program was organized by Erasmus UPT, which was represented by Martijn van der Horst.
The four days program gives the student an introduction in the understanding of port management and maritime logistics from an economics, operations and management perspective. The lectures are given by various professors from Erasmus UPT and Erasmus Smart Port Rotterdam. Erasmus Smart Port Rotterdam is an interfaculty center of excellence that combines port-related research and education at the university.
The lecturers involved all have a good reputation in the field, both in terms of academic publications as well in market-based research, consultancy and policy advice for port users, port authorities and governmental organizations. Participants in the program take advantage of being at a university in port city Rotterdam- the transport and logistics hub of Europe.
- Opening and Introduction on the program and port-related research at Erasmus University Rotterdam
- Lecture Port Economics and Management by Larissa van der Lugt
- Lecture Container terminal Logistics by prof. Rommert Dekker
- Welcomes drink with lecturers
- Visit to the Rotterdam Port Authority
- Port developments: port competition, hinterland accessibility, and challenges on port-city interface by Martijn van der Horst
- One day guided tour through the Rotterdam port area. The tour includes a boat tour, visits to prominent companies in the port area (e.g. container terminal ECT or dry bulk EMO) and the port extension project Maasvlakte 2
- Container Transport and IT by prof. Rob Zuidwijk
- Guest lecture by a professional from the Rotterdam port industry
- Closing session and awarding Certificate of Attendance
The delegation was impressed about the state-of-art research, comprising the close cooperation between port business and university. A trip for 2016 has already been planned. These study trips can be tailored to your desires and areas of interests. For more information, please contact Erasmus UPT