The Department of Media and Communication has a vacancy for an Assistant Professor in Digitalization & Responsible Business.
The successful candidate is expected to perform teaching and supervising tasks for the International Bachelor’s programme in Communication and Media (IBCoM) and/or the Master’s programme Media & Business. We are particularly looking for a candidate with knowledge and expertise either in the field of branding, digital marketing, or social media marketing, or organization and/or business communication. Knowledge on quantitative methods and digital research methods is considered an advantage.
- A PhD in one of the social sciences, preferably in the field of media and communication, and ranks among the 10-20% of his or her peer group;
- A strong research track record, including publications in international refereed journals;
- Expert knowledge in the field of media and business and the ability to make a substantial contribution to the development of introductory and specialization courses in this field;
- A broad knowledge and mastery of common research methods in media and communication;
- The potential to generate research funds from national and international funding agencies and to supervise junior researchers and PhD students;
- Prior teaching experience and the proven ability to inspire students from undergraduate to postgraduate levels, apparent from positive assessments by students and peers.
- The ability and willingness to teach a wide range of topics in the field of media and communication and to develop new courses;
- Excellent proficiency in spoken and written English. Non-English speakers have to meet the
- C1-standards of the Common European Framework (CEF). International applicants are expected to acquire a passive understanding of the Dutch language within two years;
- Strong team-playing, organizational and communication skills;
- Experience in international academic settings.
Conditions of employment
Employment starts on April 1, 2023. The position concerns a temporary contract which will be running for 18 months until September 30, 2024. After this period, an extension is possible.
The conditions of employment correspond with the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) of the Dutch Universities (CAO NU). Salary is subject to training and experience and corresponds to Scale 11 or 12 of CAO NU, with a minimum of € 3.974 (scale 11, grade 0) and a maximum of € 6.181 (scale 12, grade 10) gross per month on a 38 hour per week contract. The EUR has attractive employment conditions, which include a holiday allowance of 8.0%, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% and 41 annual vacation days in case of a full workweek.
Additional information can be obtained through one of the following links:
Additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from: Ms. Evelien Meeuwisse (email@example.com).
To apply, please send your application letter with your resume, copies of two relevant scholarly publications, a description of courses taught, (copies of) teaching assessments and the names and contact details of two referees ultimately on February 22, 2023 via AcademicTransfer to the attention of Ms. E. Meeuwisse. Please mention “Assistant Professor in Digitalization & Responsible Business”.
The job interviews will take place between March 1 and March 15, 2023.
Acquisition and mediation by third parties is not appreciated.
Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR)
Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) is an internationally oriented university with a strong social orientation in its education and research, as expressed in our mission ‘Creating positive societal impact’. EUR is home to 3.700 academics and professionals and almost 33.000 students from more than 140 countries. Everything we do, we do under the credo The Erasmian Way – Making Minds Matter. We’re global citizens, connecting, entrepreneurial, open-minded, and socially involved. These Erasmian Values function as our internal compass and create EUR’s distinctive and recognizable profile. From these values, with a broad perspective and with an eye for diversity, different backgrounds and opinions, our employees work closely together to solve societal challenges from the dynamic and cosmopolitan city of Rotterdam. Thanks to the high quality and positive societal impact of our research and education, EUR can compete with the top European universities. www.eur.nl.
The Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication
The Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication (ESHCC) offers education and research in the fields of Media and Communication, History, and Arts and Culture Studies. The faculty has approximately 2300 students and 200 employees.
Media and Communication Department
The Media and Communication Department is a dynamic, internationally oriented department within the ESHCC. The department offers five international degree programmes: the International Bachelor’s programme in Communication and Media (IBCoM), four international Master’s programmes in Media Studies (Media & Business, Media & Creative Industries, Media, Culture & Society, Digitalisation, Surveillance & Society) and the Research master in the Sociology of Culture, Media and the Arts. The department has close ties with the Erasmus Research Centre for Media, Communication and Culture (ERMeCC), the primary research institute at EUR in the field of Media, Communication and Culture.