About the Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication
Current facets (Pre-Master)
The Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication (ESHCC) is one of the schools of the Eramus University Rotterdam. The ESHCC hosts the Departments of History, Arts and Culture Studies, and Media & Communication at Erasmus University. Accordingly, the Faculty conducts research in the fields of history, arts and culture, and media and communication.
What we stand for
The ESHCC offers high-quality education, based on academic research, at the interface between the Humanities and the Social Sciences. We educate our ambitious Dutch and international students in a stimulating learning environment. After having completed their studies, our students have acquired knowledge, insight and skills that enable them to make an important and inspiring contribution to a society that is becoming increasingly more international and in which diversity plays a major role.
The Faculty offers three Bachelor programmes, who altogether offer five programmes, of which three are completely international:
- International Bachelor History
- Algemene Cultuurwetenschappen
- International Bachelor Arts and Culture Studies
- International Bachelor Communication and Media
Furthermore, the Faculty offers three Master programmes and one Research Master:
- History of Society
- Arts and Culture Studies (Arts, Culture and Society / Cultural Economics and Entrepreneurship / Place, Culture and Tourism)
- Media Studies (Media & Business / Media & Cultuur (until 2018-2019) / Media & Creative Industries (starting 2018-2019) /Media, Culture & Society / Media & Journalistiek)
- Research Master in the Sociology of Culture, Media and the Arts
Together with the universities of Glasgow, Göttingen and Barcelona, the History department of Erasmus University Rotterdam offers the Erasmus Mundus International Master 'Global Markets, Local Creativities'.
The research is thematically linked to the different chairs, and themes surpassing the boundaries of these chairs. A large part of the research is joined in several interdisciplinary centres. The ESHCC has 6 research centres:
- Center for Historical Culture
- Erasmus Research Centre fo Media, Communication and Culture
- Research Centre Modern Maritime History
- Business History @ Erasmus
- Erasmus Studio
- Global History Research Cluster
Furthermore, our researchers participate in 6 national research schools:
- Posthumus instituut
- Huizinga Instituut (in Dutch)
- The Netherlands School of Communications Research (NESCoR)
- Research School Political History
- Netherlands Interuniversity School for Islamic Studies (NISIS)
- Research School for Media Studies (RMeS)
Amount of registrations
1589 students (1102 bachelor, 104 premaster, 383 master/research master)
Nationalities new students
63% Dutch, 23% EER, 14% non-EER
108 incoming, 109 outgoing (2015-2016)
Amount of degrees awarded to students
423 in 2015-2016 (203 bachelor, 222 master/research master)
225 employees (excluding interns, student assistants, posted workers or guest lecturers):
- 22 professors, of which 11 by special appointment.
- 77 associate professors, assistant professors and lecturers.
- 61 PhD students.
- 37 support staff members.