Is IBCoM the programme for you? On this page you will find more information about the admission requirements.
Please note: the Admissions Office of Erasmus University Rotterdam will determine whether or not your diploma is at the required level upon receipt of your application and documents. You can complete and submit your application even when you have not yet obtained your diploma and/or proof of English proficiency.
No rights can be derived from the following overview.
You are eligible for admission if you hold any of the following diplomas:
Dutch VWO diploma
Propedeuse HBO, diploma from the first year of a four-year Dutch HBO programme
International Baccalaureate (IB)
European Baccalaureate (EB)
Another secondary or high school diploma equivalent to the Dutch VWO diploma, please refer to the list of most common diplomas granting you access to studies at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
You meet our English language requirements when:
- You have a VWO-grade of 7 or higher in English (final exam VWO-6);
- You hold an International Baccalaureate Diploma, English A (HL or SL 4 or higher), English B (HL 4 or higher);
- You hold an European Baccalaureate diploma including English as 1st or 2nd language;
- You obtained at least 2,5 years of secondary education in Australia, Canada (other than Quebec), New Zealand, South-Africa, The USA, the UK or Ireland (Please note that possessing a passport from an English speaking country without attending school in one of the above-mentioned countries does not grant exemption);
- You have obtained an hbo diploma at a University of Applied Sciences in the Netherlands where the language of instruction of the complete programme was English. Please submit proof thereof by uploading a statement by the university confirming this. (Not applicable when you have only completed the first year/propedeuse);
- The GCSE O-level English first language is only accepted for those students who apply on the basis of GCSE O-levels + GCE A-levels;
If you do not meet one of the above requirements, you may demonstrate proof of proficiency in English through any of the following tests:
IELTS Academic with a minimum score of 7 overall.
TOEFL iBT with a minimum score of 92.
Cambridge C1 Advanced with a minimum score of at least 180.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency with a minimum score of at least 180.
Important! Test scores may not be older than two years at the time of application. Note that it takes several weeks before the results of the tests are known. If you have not yet taken any English test, we recommend that you take the IELTS or TOEFL.
Mathematics proficiency is part of the selection procedure, as its courses prepare you for a Bachelor of Science degree upon graduation.
We would like to point out that Mathematics, and specifically Statistics, are an important part of academic research in IBCoM. A solid command of Mathematics/Statistics will greatly benefit the applicants study success.
We welcome applications from all types of educational backgrounds, and we value variety within IBCoM. Therefore, if you do not have the opportunity to take either a test or do not meet the mathematics requirements, you can still be admitted to IBCoM. We do, however, advise students that do not meet the Mathematics requirement to study Statistics over the summer.
To assess your math proficiency, we look first and foremost at whether Mathematics is part of your final exam, as well as the level and result. The required level needs to be comparable to the Dutch VWO curriculum.
The following diplomas are estimated to be at the same level as the Dutch VWO:
German Abitur, European Baccalauréat (EB), Aruban or Antilles VWO, Austrian Maturazeugnis, Belgian Diploma van Secundair Onderwijs, British A-levels, Danish Studentereksamen, Finnish Ylioppilastuskintotodistus/ studentexamenbevis, French Baccalauréat (Mathematique Specialite or Mathematique complementaire en Terminal), Norwegian Vitnemål for Videregående opplaering, Swedish Slutbetyg and Swiss Maturität all with a sufficient grade for mathematics.
International Baccalauréat (IB) including Math Standard Level A&I with a minimum grade 5, Math Higher Level A&I is sufficient as well as Math A&A on Higher Level or Standaard Level.
The IBCoM programme aims to offers its students an international classroom and a cosmopolitan learning environment and seeks to select candidates who are eager to closely cooperate with people from different backgrounds.
In addition to the general entry requirements, the Selection Committee will therefore pay due attention to the motivation letter in admitting students to the programme. The programme seeks to attract students who, in one way or another, can be expected to make a significant contribution to a diverse and vibrant international classroom.
Please adhere to the required format for the letter, as outlined on the application page under the section "Writing your motivation letter".