Anne van Eldik is a PhD candidate at the Erasmus Research Center for Media, Communication & Culture. Her research focuses on urban media engagement by looking at how young people construct an urban identity from their creative media use. This project is part of Erasmus Initiative Vital Cities and Citizens. Anne’s research is supervised by prof. dr. Jeroen Jansz, prof. dr. Liesbet van Zoonen, and dr. Julia Kneer.
Anne received a bachelor’s degree in English Language & Culture (American Studies) from Radboud University Nijmegen (2014), after which she obtained a master’s degree in Media, Culture & Society (2015) and a Research master’s degree in Sociology of Culture, Media and the Arts (abridged program) (2016) at the Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication. Both her master’s theses focused on the use of social media – the first investigating the norms and expectations regarding responsiveness and content on Mobile Instant Messaging platforms, and the second looking at the role of social media during the international student’s freshmen year in the Netherlands.
Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication
- Burg. Oudlaan 50, Rotterdam
- Anne van Eldik (2021) - This is my city, this is me: Investigating the role of social media video production in the expression and negotiation of adolescents’ urban identity
- Anne van Eldik, Julia Kneer, Roel Lutkenhaus & Jeroen Jansz (2020) - Influencers & the Super-Diverse City: Expressions of urban identity in local influencers’ YouTube content
- Anne van Eldik, Julia Kneer, Roel Lutkenhaus & Jeroen Jansz (2020) - #010 #mijnstad: De rol van sociale media en influencers in het leven van jongeren in de stad
- Anne van Eldik (2019) - Social media and the City: The relation between media use and urban identity among young people in cities
- Anne van Eldik, Julia Kneer & Jeroen Jansz (2019) - Online in the City: Young people's social media use and it's relation to a sense of belonging to the (super-diverse) city
- Anne van Eldik, Julia Kneer & Jeroen Jansz (2019) - Urban & online: Social media use among adolescents and sense of belonging to a super-diverse city - Media and Communication, 7 (2), 242-253 - doi: 10.17645/mac.v7i2.1879 - [link]
- Anne van Eldik, Julia Kneer, Roel Lutkenhaus & Jeroen Jansz (2019) - Urban Influencers: An Analysis of Urban Identity in YouTube Content of Local Social Media Influencers in a Super-Diverse City - Frontiers in Psychology, 10 - doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2019.02876 - [link]
- Julia Kneer, Anne van Eldik, Jeroen Jansz, S Eischeid & M Usta (2019) - With a little help from my friends: Peer coaching for refugee adolescents and the role of social media - Media and Communication, 7 (2), 264-274 - doi: 10.17645/mac.v7i2.1876 - [link]
- Anne van Eldik, Julia Kneer & Jeroen Jansz (2018) - Empowering Children through Media - [link]
- Anne van Eldik & Jeroen Jansz (2018) - Settling in using Social Media: The role of social media during international students’ freshmen year in the Netherlands