Welcome to our virtual lab page. This page provides an overview of software tools related to the ERMeCC digital research lab. The information is only applicable to researchers and staff that work with the Erasmus Research Centre for Media, Culture and Communication (ERMeCC), and not to students.
Research Software Currently Available
With the exception of the online survey suite Qualtrics, all of the following tools are made available to researchers through their own workstations’ Application Catalog. Please refer to the USC manual pages relating to installing software on workstations to be able to use these tools.
- Audacity (audio recording and editing)
- Camstudio Desktop Recorder (Computer screen recording and editing)
- Qualtrics (digital survey tool; license on request)
- Atlas.ti 7 (qualitative data-analysis)
- SPSS 22 (statistical analysis)
- SPSS Amos (quantitative data-analysis, structural equation modeling. License on request)
- Eviews 8 (statistical analysis and data visualization)
- G*Power 3.1 (statistical analysis)
- Markov Model (quantitative data-analysis)
- Matlab 7.16 (quantitative data-analysis)
- R-Project 3.1.0 (statistical analysis)
- Stata SE 13 (statistical analysis)
- TreeAge Pro 2012 (statistical analysis, modeling)
Other digital research labs
Ideas of tools ERMeCC researchers may want to investigate
Online Data Collection
Scraper Wiki: Online text analytics for social media
- Outwit Hub Pro: All-purpose online text analytics
- DiscoverText: Online text analytics. This tool can be used to acquire and analyze, among others, Twitter data.
- ScrapingHub: Web crawling service provider.
Offline Data Collection Aids or Analysis
- R – open source statistics programming language
- Text-o-metrica - Create semantic networks from text data
- Qualtrics SMS surveying. Expansion to our existing Qualtrics package that allows phone surveys through text messaging.
- FrontlineSMS: Behavioral surveys via SMS.
- Express Scribe: Transcription software that is compatible with the foot pedals.
- Dragon Dictate: Dictation transcription software.
- Tableau Desktop: Data visualization (Free for educational use).
- Gephi: Network data visualization (Free / open source).
- ManyEyes: Text data visualization (Free).
- Google Charts: Data visualization (Free).
- Provalis Research ProSuite: Research package for qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Ucinet: Network Analysis
- NodeXL: Network tool (Free/ open source).
- Linguistic Inquiry and Word Count (LIWC): linguistic analysis.
- MaxQDA: Alternative qualitative data-analysis (Portable license:.
- NVivo: Alternative qualitative data-analysis package.
Online courses for learning digital research methods
ERMeCC Digital Research LabM8-19 & M8-23
For enquiries, please contact us at email@example.com