Exchange students of partner universities
To be accepted as an incoming exchange student, you need to check whether your home university holds an exchange contract with Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication (the Exchange Coordinator of your home university can provide you with this information). It is important that your home university nominates you as an exchange student first, before you start your application.
Free Mover student?
Students from universities that do not have a mobility agreement with the Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication (ESHCC), can apply as free mover for a specific period.
Free movers pay tuition fee for the period of their registration at the Erasmus University Rotterdam. Please contact us if you are interested in this option.
The application for the exchange programme is done online. We will send students a link to the application form once we have received the nominations from the home university. The application deadlines are as follows:
|Semester 1 (Sep - Jan)||1 May|
|Semester 2 (Feb - Jun)||1 October|
|Full year||1 May|
Steps in the application form
Please fill in your personal details
At 'Request for', please select: Application Exchange History, Culture and Communication 2022-2023.
You will then receive two emails. One email with your Erasmus University Rotterdam student number and description of the application procedure. And the other one with your username and password.
Personal details continues – you will then be required to fill in your postal address and exchange period (Fall, Spring or Full year).
Please, fill in the rest of the form.
Please fill in information about the study programme and contact details of the home university, your preferred department at the Erasmus University Rotterdam and your motivation statement.
Please fill in your provisional study plan. This is not your final course list. We would like to know which courses you are interested in. The course list can be found on this page.
- Official academic transcript in English (starting from year 1 to present. Please include the courses you are currently in and that you will finish before the start of your exchange)
- A copy of your passport or European ID card (front and back). If you have a double nationality and one of your nationalities is EU/EEA, please upload this passport.
- Optional (see exemptions below*): Statement of English proficiency or English language certificate
- B2 Common European Framework of Reference for Languages;
- 92 Academic TOEFL;
- 7.0 Academic IELTS.
* If your study programme is taught in English a statement from your home university is sufficient proof, which needs to be submitted with the application.
- An official nomination letter of your home university.
*You are exempt from providing an English proficiency statement:
- If you are a native English speaker and you have obtained your diploma in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (with the exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom or the United States of America.
- When we have made special arrangements with your university. Please ask the International Office of your home university.
Please fill in the contact information of your emergency contact. We will only contact your emergency contact person in case of need.
Please grant us permission to send the Transcript of Records to your home university at the end of your exchange.
Please check your form before application. If your form is correct and complete, please press 'submit application'.