Bachelor in Health Policy & Management
The bachelor programme offered by Erasmus School of Health Policy & Management (ESHPM) is a multidisciplinary programme that combines insights, theories and approaches from the five subject area categories covered by ESHPM, medical law, socio-medical sciences, policy sciences, organisational sciences, and medical economics, in an integrated approach to policy and management issues in the healthcare sector. The bachelor is taught in Dutch.
Aims of the bachelor programme in Health Policy & Management
ESHPM’s bachelor programme in Health Policy & Management is a broadly-based academic programme in which the student:
- Acquires the analytical, intellectual and social-communication skills that are comparable to the university Bachelor degree and that help to provide the basis for a continuation of these studies at Masters level
- Is made familiar with the structure and dynamics of the healthcare system, and with the processes linked to both the external (policy-based) management of organisations in the healthcare sector and with the internal management of these organisations
- Acquires the ability to think in an integrated, multidisciplinary way and to act in accordance with the understanding that knowledge from the various subject area categories covered by BMG is essential for understanding the complexity of policy and management issues in the healthcare sector
- Gains knowledge and insights into the various methods and techniques of scientific, application-based research, and acquires experience in conducting simple empirical research in the healthcare sector
- Acquires insight into the main aspects of the professional and scientific occupation for which ESHPM’s Bachelor and Masters courses train students, namely management; work involving policy analysis/drafting/advice and health care sector research
- Develops an ethical sense, social responsibility and other relevant personal skills with a view to the future exercise of a profession in the healthcare sector.
Core skills of the Bachelor in Health Policy & Management programme
- Academic training, such as scientific analysis
- Multidisciplinary thinking and action
- Knowledge and skills relating to policy and management issues within the healthcare sector
- Knowledge and skills relating to health care sector research
- Basic knowledge and insights relating to the main aspects of the professional exercise of an occupation in the Health Sciences.
- General professional and communication skills
- Personal development and capacity for reflection and self-management