Students who are eligible for an ECHO Award are talented students with a non-Western background who stand out because of their entrepreneurial spirit, organizational skills, active social involvement and constructive approach to challenges related to exclusion. To compete for the ECHO Award you must first meet these practical criteria:
- You are part of an underrepresented group, with a specific focus on Dutch students with a non-Western background, refugee or international background.
- You have excellent study results ( an average of 7.5 or higher)
- You have excellent proficiency of the English language
- You are available for the ECHO Ambassadors Academy
- You are available for an interview with the ECHO Award jury
- You are available to attend the ceremony of the ECHO Award 2021
In addition, here are the main criteria that will be considered when awarding an ECHO Award from eligible nominees.
- You are entrepreneurial: you take initiative, know how to recognize and seize opportunities;
- You possess organizational skills: you can translate vision into practice, and know how to engage and mobilize people;
- You contribute to social innovation: you create impact on diversity and inclusion, and show vision about the future of a multicultural society;
- You are a critical friend: you know how to offer constructive criticism on issues related to exclusion and are willing to contribute to constructive solutions.
In addition to the above criteria, for eligibility for the STEM Award for students at a university of applied sciences or research university:
You have a clear vision for innovation in science / technology in a changing social context.
In addition to the above criteria, for eligibility for the Loyens & Loeff Law & Tax Award for students at a research university:
You have a clear vision for diversity and inclusion within business (legal) services in a changing social context.
Furthermore, ECHO is aware of the changing social context and the challenges involved in defining the target group. Even though this definition appears to be no longer tenable, nonetheless as a driver for positive societal impact EUR still encourages students to apply.