The Female Academics Moving toward Equity (FAME) is an interdisciplinary, university-wide initiative designed to further the participation, empowerment and achievement of women faculty of all ranks.
We can read in the World Economic Forum’s 2017 Global Gender Gap Report findings that gender parity is over 200 years away, so this is not a time to be complacent but to keep moving toward equity and gender parity. Although we cannot achieve this overnight, the good news is that women and men are making positive gains day by day. FAME wants to contribute to that goal within EUR.
Gender Parity? Gender equity? Don’t we have that already?
If you think so, please feel free to try out the Harvard Implicit Associate Test!
Our mission is to empower female academics of all ranks and ensure that the University’s equity aspirations with respect to the recruitment, development and promotion of female academic staff is delivered upon as expeditiously as possible. Collective advocacy is key. Individually we are a drop, but together we are an ocean!
Our vision is that by 2020 FAME will be recognized internally and externally as the network of female academics that:
- Is instrumental in expanding the inclusive and welcoming nature of EUR;
- Plays a key role in significantly reducing implicit and explicit barriers to the full participation of female faculty;
- Empowers female academics of all ranks to actively engage within EUR’s research and education agendas and within its governance structures;
- Helps shape policies, procedures and practices that facilitate gender balance in academia;
- Is understood as a network that inspires academics to reach their fullest potential by offering a safe environment where individuals can find and act as role models and mentors, and learn from each other’s experiences;
- Is seen as an informed and determined advocate for diversity and inclusion, and a body that whose advise is sort internally and externally by similar networks within Dutch academia.
FAME is guided in its advocacy, community building activities and governance by 5 core values falling under the acronym DRIVE:
We believe innovation, insight, creativity and decision-making are enhanced when perspectives are sought after in an environment that values diversity in all its manifestations, and that is free from hostility and intolerance.
We consider respect for individuals and minority groups to be a cornerstone to creating the environment necessary for all members of our community to flourish and contribute to the maximum of their ability.
Our belief in diversity and in the importance of treating all respectfully commits us to supporting EUR to create an inclusive environment where individuals see themselves as recognized, valued and equally engaged members of the larger community. We consider this crucial to ensuring individuals chose to remain in our community and excel for the benefit of themselves and others.
As network we hold ourselves responsible for being vocal-individually and collectively. We hold ourselves accountable for brining discriminatory practices and behaviours to the attention of EUR leadership and for advocating to change policies and practices that hinder females seeking to progress as researchers and educators. We also hold ourselves responsible for acknowledging when progress is made.
Our commitment to equity means that we believe in equality of opportunity. We recognize that legacy discrimination means that we must look beyond the stock of an individuals, achievements but factor into our assessment the impact of the hurdles faced by the individual over time.
FAME organises activities and offers services specific to women in all ranks of academia across EUR. These include:
- organizing meetings and information exchange;
- stimulating talent and promoting flow;
- community building;
- providing career support;
- solicited and unsolicited advice to management;
Check this page regularly to keep informed!