How much money you will actually need depends on your life style. We strongly recommend you to make a budget plan.
Experience has shown that students living and studying in Rotterdam spend approximately €1,000 a month. This amount is needed to cover daily expenses, meals, accommodation costs, insurance, study books etc. The estimate below does not include tuition fees and unforeseen costs, and should be used as a general indication of the costs of living in the Netherlands.
The costs for housing, for example, may differ considerably. Also, if you plan to travel during your stay, you will obviously need more money.
Examples of living expenses
Average living expenses per month
|Accommodation (furnished, including (shared or individual) utilities)||€500-€750|
|Books and study materials (may vary per study programme)||€50-150|
|Daily expenses (food, drinks, clothes, going out, public transport, etc.)||€350|
|A number of items with their average prices ||Price|
|Cup of tea or coffee in a café||€3.00|
|Cheese sandwich||€4.00 |
|Meal in a typical student restaurant||€12.50|
|Hairdresser (cut and blow-dry)||€25-€60|
|Average prices for travelling to nearby European cities ||Price|
|Trip to Paris|| €35*|
|Trip to Brussels|| €30*|
|Trip to London|| €60*|
* These are prices if you book well in advance.
You can convert these amounts into your own currency with the currency converter.
Further information about the costs of living in the Netherlands and related subjects can be found on Study in Holland
Tips & know-hows
- Groceries at Lidl, Dirk or Aldi are less expensive than the same products at Albert Heijn;
- Keep track of grocery discounts, all weekly discounts ('aanbiedingen' in Dutch) are advertised on the websites of the supermarkets too;
- Buy good but cheap produce at the nearby market every Tuesday and Saturday;
- Make use of the sharp discounts of the ESN card;
- Get a Rotterdam pas or Rotterdam Welcome card for sharp discounts on cultural activities in Rotterdam;
Photo: find your groceries at the Spar supermarket on Woudestein Campus.