Why study Master Strategy Economics
Are you fascinated by the dynamics of modern economies where entire new industries are being created and existing ones constantly require renewal or are made obsolete? Do you want to understand the role of companies such as Google, Tesla and Uber for such economic dynamics? Do you want to research and stimulate these dynamic processes and contribute to policy formulation? Do you want to be part of business start-ups or help companies anticipate, thrive, and innovate?
This specialisation recognises that economies constantly change, driven by technological innovations and shifting customer preferences for example. It acknowledges that innovation and strategic firm decisions are imperative to this dynamic process of transformation of world industry. You will focus on how entrepreneurs, firms and policy makers can initiate and benefit from economic changes. The programme concentrates on strategic decisions and interactions of different types of firms including start-ups, small firms and large firms.
The Strategy Economics programme provides you with a powerful set of skills, tools and models to make smart strategic decisions and become a true change maker. Through practical application and rigorous study of theories you will develop solid analytical and research skills to address questions like:
- What is the role of different types of firms (for example start-ups, micro firms and large multinational firms) for innovation and economic progress?
- How canstrategic behaviour of entrepreneurs and firms (for example investments in innovation, collaboration, foreign direct investments,and differential pricing) improve economic performance and welfare?
- How does the external industry environment (for example extent of competition, availability of skilled employees and other resources) affect innovation, location choices and other firm strategies?
- Why and how do policy makers stimulate strategic behaviour such as entrepreneurship, firm growth, innovation, and foreign direct investments?
The programme enables you to quantitatively and empirically analyse real-life problems in the field and interpret and present findings in a clear and concise way.
Is this the right choice for you?
Are you an original thinker with proactive qualities? Do economic dynamics, change and innovation excite you? Does the combination of being right where the action is and the quantitative approach towards analysing strategic behaviour of entrepreneurs and firms appeal to you? Then Strategy Economics is your programme.
To do well in this programme, it helps if you have:
- An interest in firms and entrepreneurs as drivers of economic change
- Affinity with a quantitative approach/ analysis.
Why study Strategy Economics in Rotterdam?
Rotterdam is a vibrant, multicultural city that is at the forefront of exciting developments in industry, logistics, science, culture and architecture. Here you can choose a programme that is predominantly built on the idea that successful strategic decisions of entrepreneurs and firms are the things that make people, firms and economies successful. You will focus on underlying economic principles that help entrepreneurs and firms to successfully innovate and enter new markets, to make the right decision on location and investment and to decide whether to compete or collaborate.. This gives you a deep understanding of the underlying causes of economic growth and development.
In short: a unique programme in the heart of society.
Study Strategy Economics for:
- The only European master programme combining the economics view with innovation and strategy
- A very strong student association and entrepreneurship centre, providing numerous extracurricular activities
- A young, active and modern group of professors
- A challenging curriculum with a focus on innovation and other types of strategic decision making, giving you the analytical research skills and strategic mind-set to suit today’s dynamic economic environment.