Students behind laptop

Let us save you some time looking for answers: below are all the questions other international students ask most frequently about immigration matters.


If you will be living in the Netherlands for more than 4 months, you are obliged to register at the City Hall in the town in which you are living. For this, you need to make an appointment and show multiple documents. We also organise One Stop Shops, where you can register at City Hall (Rotterdam) on campus. See the orientation schedule for more information.

Please find detailed instructions on how to get your financial means deposit back on this page.

MVV (entry visa) and residence permit

Yes, if you were not registered in the municipality before the 31st of December 2020 and are not in the possession of a Dutch residence permit, you are classed as a non-EU student and you need to apply for a residence permit just as the other non-EU students. All information regarding visa and a residence permit can be found under the tab: visa and residence permit.

The Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service. They take care of all immigration and naturalization applications of individuals who wish to live in the Netherlands or want to become a Dutch citizen. 

This depends on the type of residence permit and your situation. Please contact us for further information and we’ll help you out.

We are unable to give you an indication on how long the process will take. We will however communicate a deadline to you based on your personal situation, and you need to start the application process 12 weeks prior to start date of your study programme. The process can take this long due to delays when correcting mistakes in submissions by students, processing foreign bank transactions and delays at external parties like embassies occur. Failing to start the procedures in time might cause serious delays in the immigration process and may lead to you not being able to travel to the Netherlands before the start of your study programme.

We are unfortunately not able to speed up the process because we are dependent on the decision-making process of the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Authority Authority (IND).

Online education

Yes, you can return to your home country.

You can stay outside the Netherlands for a maximum of 6 months, but make sure to inform us by sending an email to: immigration@eur.nl (mention your student number, the duration of your leave and when you will be returning to the Netherlands).

If you are going on exchange as part of your studies, you can stay abroad for a maximum of 12 months, but make sure to inform us by sending an email to: immigration@eur.nl (mention your student number, the duration of your exchange, city, country and university you will be attending).

You only need a valid residence permit if you are residing in the Netherlands. If you remain in your home country, you do not need to apply for a residence permit. If your residence permit is about to expire and you will not come back anytime soon, you do not need to extend your permit.

If you wish to come/return to the Netherlands, please contact your faculty 3 months prior to your expected arrival or contact Team Immigration.

Notify the immigration office (immigration@eur.nl) and they will adjust your Dutch permit status.

This is needed to prevent issues with your enrollment status.

Study Progress Monitoring

Due to Dutch migration policy, all non-EU/EEA students residing in the Netherlands with a residence permit for study purposes (with the exception of exchange students who stay in the Netherlands for a only a year or less), have to obtain at least 50% of the required number of ECTS every academic year. In case the 50% hasn’t been met, your permit might be revoked.

Changes to permit

As soon as you cancel your studies at EUR (via Studielink), we will have to notify the IND and as a consequence your residence permit will be revoked. You will have to leave The Netherlands after IND deregistration date. If you continue your studies at EUR, we can start a new procedure for your residence permit (and - if applicable - visa).

We need to apply for a permit extension on your behalf at the IND. Residence permits for the purpose of study are issued for a specific period of time. The expiry date of your permit can be found on the front of your residence permit (‘geldig tot’). 

You are strongly advised to submit your application for an extension three months before your current residence permit expires at the latest. Please start your own extension application on Osiris.

If you are living in the Netherlands based on a valid Dutch residence permit for another purpose than study, you need to change your permit into a student residence permit. 

If you’re switching to EUR from another university in the Netherlands, you need to follow this procedure as we need to become your new sponsor.

When moving in Rotterdam, you need to report your new address within 5 days at City Hall. You can find the procedure on the municipality’s website. If you will be moving to another place than Rotterdam, you should contact your local City Hall for information about arranging the change of your Dutch address.

After graduation

All non-EU/EEA students who are in the possession of a Dutch student residence permit need to consider a number of additional rules and regulations when they want to work or do an internship in the Netherlands.

If you are no longer enrolled, we will notify the IND. The IND will give you 3 months after the graduation date or until the expiry date on your card, whichever comes first.

Examples of validity of permit after graduation:

  • If you were enrolled at EUR until 31 August 2021 then your residence permit will be valid until 30 November 2021.
  • If you graduated on the 31st Of May 2021, then your permit is valid until 31st of August 2021, even if your permit expiration date is 30 November 2021.
  • If you graduated in August and your permit is valid until the end of September, then your permit will expire in September since the expiration date of your card comes earlier.

If you want to stay in the Netherlands and work or do an internship, then make sure to apply for an orientation year.

For more information about the orientation year visa visit the FAQ from the IND.

Within 3 years after completing your studies, international students can apply for an orientation year during which you may work freely or do an internship or traineeship in the Netherlands without your employer having to apply for a work permit for hiring you. You do need to apply for the orientation year.

If you leave NL, your residence permit should be returned to the IND. There are 2 possible ways:

  1. You can hand in your residence permit card at the IND Front Office. Call 0880 430 430 to make an appointment. You will receive a proof of submission and a colour copy of your residence permit card;
  2. You can send your residence permit to the address below. Make sure that your residence permit is not valid anymore. This can be done by perforating or cutting your residence permit partially.  

IND Bureau Documenten
Postbus 49
9560 AA Ter Apel


The first thing you need to do is to report the loss to the police and obtain an official police report. You need the police report for applying for a new residence permit.
The procedure you need to follow to obtain a new residence permit depends on the expiry date of the permit you lost.

Receiving visitors

When having a valid Dutch study residence permit in place, you can travel within the EU/EEA. However, make sure your permit is still valid at the time of travelling. If not: extend your residence permit in time!

We advise you to contact local immigration authorities if you would like to visit a country outside of the EU/EEA

If the extension of your residence permit is still in process with the IND and your new residence permit is not in place yet before you’re leaving on your trip, please contact the IND (call at 088 043 04 30) or the Dutch embassy abroad to obtain a “return visa” which enables you to travel back to the Netherlands after your trip.

If you are a non-EU/EEA student staying in the Netherlands with a residence permit, then your family/friends from home might need to apply for a visa and/or residence permit for the Netherlands as well. The university is not involved in the immigration procedures for family/friends visiting you, so make sure to carefully check this out yourself.

Tuberculosis check

You have to undergo the TB-check within 3 months of arriving in the Netherlands. If you haven’t done so, please do it as soon as possible. Please realise the IND can take measures if you wait too long!

Didn't find an answer to your question?

Know who to reach:

Compare @count study programme

  • @title

    • Duration: @duration
Compare study programmes