Changes to permit

In some cases, you might need to extend, change or update your residence permit. 

Are you:

  • Staying in the Netherlands (NL) longer than expected?
  • Living in NL on a valid Dutch residence permit for another purpose than study (e.g. for employment, or staying with your partner or family)?
  • Switching to the Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) from another university in the Netherlands (NL)?

(For International Institute of Social Studies (ISS) and Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS).

Lost your residence permit?

Need help with the permit?

Frequently Asked Questions

As soon as you cancel your studies at EUR (via Studielink), we will have to notify the IND and as a consequence your residence permit will be revoked. You will have to leave The Netherlands after IND deregistration date. If you continue your studies at EUR, we can start a new procedure for your residence permit (and - if applicable - visa).

We need to apply for a permit extension on your behalf at the IND. Residence permits for the purpose of study are issued for a specific period of time. The expiry date of your permit can be found on the front of your residence permit (‘geldig tot’). 

You are strongly advised to submit your application for an extension three months before your current residence permit expires at the latest. Please start your own extension application on Osiris.

If you are living in the Netherlands based on a valid Dutch residence permit for another purpose than study, you need to change your permit into a student residence permit. 

If you’re switching to EUR from another university in the Netherlands, you need to follow this procedure as we need to become your new sponsor.

When moving in Rotterdam, you need to report your new address within 5 days at City Hall. You can find the procedure on the municipality’s website. If you will be moving to another place than Rotterdam, you should contact your local City Hall for information about arranging the change of your Dutch address.

Compare @count study programme

  • @title

    • Duration: @duration
Compare study programmes