Current facets (Pre-Master)
As all moots are very international, some even include impressive universities such as Yale, Harvard and many others, we want our teams to be as prepared as possible. Therefore, we offer our students during the course of the competition a very intensive personal coaching. Each team gets one (or two) supervising coach(es) that will support and guide the team on a weekly bases. Furthermore, all teams will be brought in contact with experienced lawyers, practitioners and professors in the Netherlands to continue to sharpen your skills. In the end you will have honed your skills to perfection so that you will walk, talk, think and even breathe like a lawyer. So if you think it is time to experience the world of law in practice, this is the perfect opportunity for you!
In short, if you complete the course successfully you receive:
- 5 ECTS.
- A unique experience that will boost your cv immensely.
- A boost to your national network as you will be brought in contact with renowned Dutch Law firms such as NautaDutilh, BarentsKranz and many more.
- The possibility to travel and consider international differences and similarities in law.
- The opportunity to hone your practical skills in a unique way.
- The possibility to perfect your grasp of Legal English.
- A boost to your international network as you will come in contact with highly experienced practitioners and scholars from around the world, and of course the students you will meet, who are the high potential lawyers of the future.
- Personal coaching by many professors of the ESL.
- A letter of recognition of your extraordinary training and skills.
You will build an unforgettable relationship with your team during the moot.
Those teams than can give each other constructive criticism, or in plain words, give it to you straight, are the teams that are most successful in the competition and in their careers. The ability to work in a team is a must if you wish to practice law.
This is the only time during the master in which you get to experience what it is like to work on one case for several months. It is unique and not even an internship will give you the same experience.
Your network and cv are boosted immensely
You will be exposed to the biggest names in the field in a very professional manner. You will be able to have in-depth discussions that will make your name stick longer. In general our ‘mooties’ from the past have found that participation in one of our moots has opened many doors.
You will have so much fun!
Of course, the competition is hard work but after most visits to firms and especially once you meet students from other universities from around the world, the social aspect of the moot is not to be forgotten. It is so much fun to talk to and dance with all those people; it will be an experience you will never forget!
As the moots are always abroad this does mean there is a financial aspect to this elective. In general the university will pay for all travelling and accommodation expenses*. This might also mean that you get to fly to Sidney, Australia for free, but you have to get up at 2 in the morning to catch that flight.
Expenses we expect our students to bear themselves are
- Insurance (both health and travel)
- Clothing (all moots have a strict dress code)
- Food & drinks at place of destination
*Costs for visa or representation (such as business cards) are also included as long as the university receives an official receipt.
N.B. Just because you have been granted the right to come to the competition or because expenses have already been made by you, does NOT mean that you will automatically receive a passing grade. The grade for these electives are based on individual and team efforts. For more information, please check the individual moots.