Why study Research Master Research Master in Philosophy and Economics
Philosophy of economics is a growing field with important implications for both economists and policy makers. By critically engaging with often implicit and opaque assumptions in economics, academics in the field contribute with a deeper understanding of theoretical, methodological, ethical, and rationality aspects of economic theory and practice.
The Research Master in Philosophy and Economics provides a thorough grounding in the main areas of philosophy of economics. Throughout the programme you will engage with and analyse ethical and ontological commitments in economics, investigate the foundations of decision theory, examine methodological and theoretical constraints and opportunities in economics, and delve deeper into both the history and new developments in the economic discipline. You will be guided through the thorough curriculum by personal contact with teachers and your academic advisor, seminars in small groups, as well as a close-knit community of international master and PhD students.
Study the Research Master programme at Erasmus School of Philosophy for:
• A unique and top-rated two-year interdisciplinary programme in philosophy and economics;
• Personal seminars and lectures with researchers at the forefront of philosophy of economics from
EUR as well as visiting professors from top universities around the world;
• A research guided curriculum with focus on academic skills, bi-weekly research and PhD seminars,
and guidance on your own PhD or policy proposal;
• Be part of a close-knit international community of master students, PhD students, and researchers
with an avid interest in the philosophy of economics;
• Exciting career prospects as a PhD in philosophy and economics or in advisory roles in the private
and public sector.
After completing the Research Master you will be able to understand and critique complex texts, conduct independent interdisciplinary research projects and present your work in a clear manner. This will put you in a excellent position for a subsequent PhD in philosophy and economics as well as a number of different careers in the private and public sector. See also the profiles of our alumni.