Erasmus School of Philosophy Part-time PhD programme
Push the boundaries of philosophical thinking to address global challenges
Ever thought of working towards a PhD alongside your fulltime job? Our parttime PhD programme offers a unique opportunity to obtain a doctorate degree to enhance your professional career. Our programme is designed to equip you with the skills necessary to research and complete a PhD project. We offer individual supervision by professors of our faculty that will be tailored to your own work commitments and according to your preferred study schedule. As a PhD candidate you will be facilitated with access to the library and IT-facilities and research seminars organised by our school.
Building on their professional experience in various fields (teaching, policy, media, societal debate), parttime PhD candidates contribute to our research ambitions, strengthen our impact and foster interdisciplinary collaboration.
How to apply
Applicants are advised to write a short research proposal which fits in one of our research programmes of our school (more information about our research programmes can be found here). Then, send your research proposal, together with a CV and motivation letter to the potential supervisor. If the potential supervisor is interested in supervising the research project, he will submit your research proposal to the admissions coordinator (Marloes Westerveld). If the Graduate Director and the Director positively advise on the project, the project will be elaborated.
When the research proposal is finished the candidate can start her or his research. The candidate will receive a hospitality agreement which will give access to the library and an ESPhil e-mail address. The candidate is required to pay a tuition fee per year:
- Year 1: € 2100;
- Year 2 and 3: € 1700;
- Year 4 onwards: € 800;
- Waivers or reduced fees for candidates who lack funding opportunities can be proposed
The programme starts in September (application deadline 31 July) and February (application deadline 31 december). The programme can enroll a maximum of 10 candidates.
Parttime PhD candidates will not receive a salary or scholarship, and thus must be financially independent. Only candidates with a university Master’s degree are eligible for this programme.
Participants in the program PhD’s for HBO teachers funded by NWO or on the basis of a voucher, are exempted from tuition fees because their part-time position is already funded on the basis of detailed requirements and commitments by NWO.
- Supervision by a promotor and co-promotor on the basis of a training and supervision plan;
- Mutual learning via program meetings (thrice a year) to share experiences and interact;
- Participation in ESPhil seminars and lectures;
- Enrolment in research schools (OZSW, EGSH);
- Access to research facilities (e.g. EUR library and electronic journals);
- Special skills training and, if relevant, participation in Master courses;
- Support in writing academic papers and presenting at academic meetings and conferences;
- Support in publishing your thesis;
- Formal public defence ceremony after finishing the thesis.
More information can be obtained via Ms. Marloes Westerveld (firstname.lastname@example.org), please mention ‘Parttime PhD programme’ in the subject.
- Degree: PhD
- Format: part-time
- Duration: 4-6 years
- Requirement: Master’s degree
- Start: September or February