From 7 until 9 July, Rotterdam will be the stage of the famous North Sea Jazz Festival. The event is already sold out, but that doesn't mean you can’t enjoy it. Because from this week on, the entire city will be buzzing with North Sea Round Town, a fringe festival with a diverse program. For some guidance, here’s a few (free) performances that will make you forget all about North Sea Jazz!
- CAS (29 June, 11pm, Verhip Café) 20-year old singer-songwriter Cas Ronckers with his band - former 3FM Serious Talent, has opened for Kensington and Stevie Ann!
- Brazilian Roda de Choro e Samba (30 June, 14pm - 9 pm, Eendrachtsplein) Brazilian Roda! Enjoy hot samba's and choro's played by teachers and students of Brazilian music school EPM Holanda, powered by Kubox.
- Keti Koti Festival (1 July, 12.30pm until 10pm, Wijkpark Oude Westen)
Keti Koti is the Day of Emancipation in Surinam: the end of slavery in the former Dutch colony. In Rotterdam it’s celebrated with cultural acts, music and good food. Don’t miss it! Check the website to see which artists will perform.
- Stan Getz Bossa Nova Party (2 July, 4 pm, Markthal) Summer vibes on the terrace of the Mart Cafe - you'll probably have a hard time sitting down with this mix of jazz and Bossa Nova
- Sinfonia Rotterdam (2 July, 8pm, Maritime Museum)
From the water, Sinfonia Rotterdam will deliver a special performance together with the Scapino ballet.
- Dizzy Young Talent Stage - GreyHeads (5 July, 9.30 pm, Dizzy, Jazzcafe) Brand new band from Rotterdam, offering an exciting mix of electronic and instrumental. Multi-dimensional hip-hip with R&B, groove and jazz. Dance!
- Jazz@station CS – Supermoon (7 July, 5pm, Central Station)
This new band puts on a danceable live show with funky pop songs, heavy grooves and strong harmonies. Recommended for everybody, from James Brown-lovers to Jamiroquai fans.
Impressed? There’s much, much, more on the website this information came from. Check it for the full program!