Legal Procedures

Skyline of Rotterdam with the Erasmusbrug and high buildings

Legal Procedures supports multiple independent committees: Board of Appeals for Examinations (CBE), Advisory Committee for Complaints and Objections (AKB), Board of Appeal for non-initial education (GNIO), Committee Scientific Integrity (CWI), Committee Undesirable Behaviour (COG), the Whistleblower Committee (CK), the Employee Dispute Committee (CGW) and the Student Objection Advisory Committee (GAS). Legal Procedures is furthermore responsible for the legal representation at the Council of State, Administrative Jurisdiction Division in case of appeals against decisions made by the Board of Appeals for Examinations and at the Netherlands Board on Research Integrity (LOWI).

A more detailed description of Legal Procedures can be found in the annual report Legal Procedures and the overview of committees below.

Objections, appeals and complaints

If you do not agree with a decision of the university or a body thereof, such as the Executive Board, a dean, an examination committee or an examiner, you can use the legal remedies objection and appeal. If you disagree about the way in which an administrative body has behaved towards you or another person in a particular matter, you can submit a complaint to the Legal Procedures facility.

Legal Procedures Facility

EUR has a one-stop shop where students can submit their objections, appeals and complaints. This is called the Legal Procedures facility and is managed by Legal Procedures . The objections, appeals and complaints are directly forwarded to the appropriate boards, committees and / or bodies, after which you will be informed of the further procedure. The followed procedure can be found in the Working guide handling messages from students and externals Legal Procedures Facility 2021.

Legal Procedures supports multiple legal protection committees and colleges. Below you will find information about who can go where and for what purpose.

  • Who? Complaints: anyone; Objections: interested parties (not a student or external student)
  • What sort of cases? Complaints: behavior of an administrative body; Objections: decisions of an administrative body that directly affect the interested party

  • Who? (External) students (also former and future)
  • What sort of cases? Decisions made by exam committees and examiners, etc.

  • Who? Participants in non-initial courses, provided the GNIO is authorised
  • What sort of cases? Decisions by a provider of non-initial, NVAO accredited, study programmes

  • Who? Anyone
  • What sort of cases? Compalints regarding violation of scientific integrity

  • Who? Anyone
  • What sort of cases? Complaints regarding sexual intimidation, discrimination, racism, violence, etc.

  • Who? (External) students (also former and future)
  • What sort of cases? All decisions made by an administrative authority of the EUR (except those that are handled by the CBE)

  • Who? Anyone
  • What sort of cases? Acts or omissions in which the social interest is at stake: violation of a statutary regulation, danger to public health, danger to safety of persons, risk of damage to the environment, danger to the proper functioning of a public service or company

It is often helpful to try to find a solution to a problem with the EUR in an informal way. Starting a conversation with the other person may be a good way to solve many problems. If the problem remains, you can contact the EUR Legal Protection Facility. This is a one-stop shop where students can submit their objections, appeals and complaints. The objections, appeals and complaints will be forwarded to the board, committee or other EUR body that is competent to handle your case, after which you will be informed about the further procedure.


Compare @count study programme

  • @title

    • Duration: @duration
Compare study programmes