Switching institutions

Are you switching your studies to Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) from another university in the Netherlands?

If you have a residence permit for study purposes that is valid for at least 6 months from the moment you start your studies at EUR, you do not have to apply for another residence permit immediately. We do, however, have to let the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) know that you are switching institutions.

Does your permit expire within six months? If you intend to study at EUR past the expiration date of your current residence permit, we advise you to apply for an extension of your residence permit instead of following the switching institutions procedure. You can apply for an extension from three months before the expiration date of your current permit.

The switching institutions procedure

  • Submit a copy of your current residence permit to the Student Administration Department, so they can finalise your registration at EUR. We advise you to submit the copy of your permit immediately after you register for your programme through Studielink. Please contact the Erasmus Student Service Centre for assistance.
  • Upload the required documents for the switching institutions procedure in Osiris Student. In Osiris Student, go to ‘My Cases’ and click on ‘Changes to permit’. Then select ‘Switching Institutions’.
  • As part of the application, you are asked to upload documentation proving you have sufficient financial means to cover your living expenses during your studies at EUR. There are various ways to prove this. More information can be found on the page about immigration costs.
  • By submitting the application for the switching institutions procedure in Osiris, you authorize EUR to inform the IND about your switch. Please keep in mind that we can only proceed to notify the IND once your registration at EUR is complete and your tuition fees have been paid.


If you come across any problems or have any questions, you can always email immigration@eur.nl.

Lost your residence permit?

Yep, it’s lost / stolen.

Advice & counselling

Reach out if you need help