Exceptional (family) circumstances
The University provides financial support to students facing study delay due to force majeure or exceptional personal circumstances. These circumstances are understood to be:
- Pregnancy and childbirth;
- Physical, sensory or other disabilities;
- Exceptional family circumstances (for example informale care);
- Insufficient feasibility of programme completion
- Being enrolled for a programme that has not been reaccredited and for which no degrees have yet been awarded.
Period of support
The period in which study delay leads to entitlement to financial support is equal to the nominal duration of the bachelor’s or master’s degree you follow at the EUR. The nominal duration is reduced by the years you were enrolled in another bachelor or master (HBO or WO).
Payment of financial support
The financial support is expressed in a number of months. You’ll get a fixed fee paid by month. You’ll receive this support only if you’re a student at the EUR. The payment starts after the nominal duration of your studies, with a maximum of 12 months. When you graduate, the support ends and the remaining months will not be paid.
Amount of support
The amount of support is a fixed monthly fee. This fee is equal to the basic student grant for Dutch students who are not living with their parents (for the academic year 2017-2018: €290,68), and for some a supplementary grant. This monthly fee is paid after the end of the nominal study duration with a maximum of 12 months.
For students with a basic grant from DUO: the support starts after the last month with basic grant from DUO (instead of the nominal duration). From then on, the monthly support will be equal to the amount of grant in their last month.
- The force majeure occurs during the nominal duration of your study;
- You are not eligible for financial support if the university or other institute of higher education has previously provided financial compensation for the same circumstance;
- You are required to notify the student counsellor within two months after the start of the special circumstance, indicating the special circumstances causing you to exceed the specified course duration. If you are unable to notify the student counsellor yourself, you can have an authorised representative do so on your behalf;
- The Student Support Committee will not accept notification made after 31 December of the academic year in which the special circumstance arose;
- While receiving the support, you’ve to be enrolled as a fulltime student at the EUR;
- You are required to notify the university in a timely manner of previously unknown information that could affect the payment of the contribution (e.g. programme completion or change of address);
- A possible condition is that you will need to submit a study plan for each six-month period of financial support that you have drawn up in consultation with a course advisor or student counsellor;
- A possible condition is that in the event of a prolonged instance of force majeure, the student is asked to consult with the course advisor, student counsellor or university psychologist each quarter to discuss measures to limit the time during which the specified course duration is exceeded;
- The financial support is not taxable and therefore a gift (see the Income Tax Act (Wet inkomstenbelasting) article 3.104).
Application & procedure
- To apply for financial assistance, you have to report the delay and submit an application for financial support. Make an appointment through the website with one of the student counsellors.
- The Student Support Committee assesses your application and decide for how many months of financial support you qualify. The Committee must take into consideration the relationship between the circumstances and the educational programming. The decision is open to the usual procedure of objection and appeal.
Regulations Financial Support Fund
The information on this webpage is based on the Financial Support Fund. The policy Profileringsfonds provides financial compensation for study delay due to personal circumstances, grants and fee waivers. Download the Regulations Financial Support Fund below.
If you have any questions, please feel free to make an appointment with a student counsellor