PhD defence A.L.C.J.R.M. (Jilske) Huijben
- Prof.dr. E.W. Steyerberg
- Dr. H.F. Lingsma
- Dr. M. van der Jagt
On Thursday 18 March 2021, A.L.C.J.R.M. Huijben will defend her PhD dissertation, entitled: ‘Assessment and Improvement of Intensive Care for patients with Traumatic Brain Injury’.
This research is part of the CENTER-TBI study (Collaborative European NeuroTrauma Effectiveness Research in Traumatic Brain Injury), a European research project. The aim of this project is to improve the care for patients with traumatic brain injury (TBI). Data are being collected for 2000 patients at the intensive care unti (ICU) with TBI in 21 European countries.
The focus of my study is on traumatic brain injury patients at the intensive care with the following tasks:
- Describe variation in care between European ICU's
- Develop performance indicators to evaluate TBI care
- Identify effective clinical care for TBI using comparative effectiveness research (CER)
In our research we found:
- Substantial variation in treatment of patients with TBI at the ICU etween European centres
- We developed quality indicators to assess current quality of care and we validated these with patient data
- We identified that centres used high intensity treatment while low intensity treatment might be more effective. Also, the use of deep venous thrombosis prophylaxis might contibute to better 6-month outcome
Due to corona, the PhD defences do not take place publicly in the usual way in the Senate Hall or in the Professor Andries Querido Room. The candidates will defend their dissertation either in a small group or online.