Career opportunities for Master Politics and Society
Within the current political landscape there is an urgent need for experts who understand the interrelationship between politics and society. As an expert you are able to analyse topical pressing issues such as rampant political cynicism and discontent, the rise of populism, and ‘floating’ electorates. Furthermore, you are able to analyse topics in an unbiased and unprejudiced way and present your findings in a clear and concise manner to others.
After graduation, you have gained a sharp analytical perspective as a sociologist. Furthermore, you will have thorough knowledge of social scientific research. This know-how and these skills will provide a solid basis for favourable career opportunities in various fields. You could work for instance as a:
- Policy officer at supranational, national, regional or local governments;
- Policy officer at political or public think tanks and social scientific advisory councils;
- Policy officer at NGOs addressing social problems;
- Researcher at governmental institutions, consultancy firms, research centers, and (applied/ research) universities;
- Consultant for (semi-)governmental institutions;
- Journalist, media advisor, or editor at media outlets focusing on politics and society.
After completing this master programme you will be able to:
- Understand the causes and political implications of cultural and economic conflicts in western democracies;
- Understand the political attitudes and behaviour of citizens, social movements, political parties and governments;
- Analyse contemporary politics by applying up-to-date theories and concepts;
- Present your insights, and contribute to discussions on contemporary politics in an international setting;
- Critically evaluate and dissect academic texts, provide constructive feedback to peers, and write research proposals.
Pursuing an academic career?
If you want to proceed with advanced, research-oriented education in the field of sociology you can apply for our Research Master in the Sociology of Culture, Media and the Arts. This programme is specifically designed to prepare you to carry out research which can lead to a doctorate degree.
If you have demonstrated academic excellence and motivation during your master track in Politics & Society and your English meets the standard, you will be allowed to complete a research master programme of approximately one year.