Admission requirements for Master Politics and Society
Depending on the specialisation you wish to apply for, you are eligible for admission to the programme if you have obtained a relevant Bachelor’s or undergraduate degree (comparable to the Dutch academic level according to the standards of the Dutch Organisation for International Cooperation in Higher Education (Nuffic)) from a research university that includes at least 10 EC in social science research methods and techniques. Some examples of relevant bachelor programmes are:
- Social Sciences
- Public Administration
- Political Science
- European Studies
- International Relations
- Communication Science
Please have a look at the additional information regarding your prior education. The eligibility of your bachelor can only be determined after you have submitted an application and only after we have received all requested documents. Prior inquiries will be purely hypothetical.
A good command of English is essential. A good command of English is essential. Therefore you will have to submit proof of English proficiency in your application.
You might be exempted from presenting the proof of English proficiency if:
- You hold a bachelor diploma from a university in the Netherlands; or
- You hold a pre-university education (VWO) diploma and English was one of the subjects included in the assessment conferring that diploma and graded a 7.0 or higher; or
- You are a native speaker of English (i.e. a national of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and the United States of America) and you have obtained a diploma of secondary education in English for at least 2,5 years in one of the above countries and/or
- You have obtained a diploma of International Baccalaureate (valid for 5 years) and/or
- You have obtained your diploma of higher education in English (the entire programme) in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom or the United States of America.
- We usually deem the level of English Bachelor programmes at West European or Scandinavian universities sufficient for exemption as well.
- Please mind that in case you believe that you qualify for exemption you need to present a proof thereof. If you have obtained your diploma of higher education in English we need to see a written proof of it in the form of either a passage in the diploma, grade list, or a letter from the university stating that the language of instruction was English for the entire programme.
If you do not qualify for exemption, you can demonstrate your English skills with a language test:
Please note that the test may not be older than two years at the time of application. Also note that it takes several weeks before the results of the tests are known. Take this into consideration when you think of applying. Without the results, we will not be able to assess your application.
TOEFLOpens external (our TOEFL ID Code 5971)*
90 (internet based)
CEF (Common European Framework)
Cambridge EFL (English as a Foreign Language) Examinations
* Please note that Institutional TOEFL tests are not accepted.
Would you like to take a language test at Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR)? The language test, based on CEF, organised by the Language & Training Centre of EUR and tailored specially for our applicants. More information can be found on the website of the language centre.
In addition to the credentials mentioned above, the Admissions Board will also take into account your academic performance, i.e. your grades. Please note that there is no minimum score or average grade mentioned; your application will be assessed against the pool of applicants of the given year.
You may choose to provide the Admissions Board with additional information about yourself by uploading additional documents that you think might contribute to your profile. An example of such documents could be motivation and/ or reference letter.
Should the admissions criteria mentioned above be too concise, please refer to additional information on this topic
- Bachelor’s / undergraduate research university are meant as opposed to diplomas of university of applied sciences or vocational programmes.
- Diplomas will be carefully evaluated to determine whether they qualify as degrees from research universities (as opposed to universities of applied sciences). An evaluation can only be done after the submission of the on-line application form and all required supporting documents.
- In order to be eligible for admission to the programme, you must have fulfilled all the requirements for your Bachelor’s degree by August 20 at the very latest. In case it does not happen, candidates have to account with the fact that this will result in a denial of admission.
- If you have not yet completed your Bachelor’s degree but expect it to happen until August 20, please send us an official copy of your academic record(s) at the moment of application. In case the transcript of record does not contain the name of the programme you are enrolled in and/ or the kind of degree you are studying for, the date of enrollment as well as the amount of credits you have obtained so far, you must also provide a statement of your university (click here to see an example) with the date you expect to fulfil all the requirements necessary for graduation. Until we have your documents you might receive a conditional offer, which might become unconditional if we receive the missing documents.
Proof of English proficiency
- If you have obtained your diploma of higher education in English we need to see a written proof of it in the form of either a passage in the diploma, grade list, or a letter from the university stating that the language of instruction was English.
- Institutional TOEFL tests are not accepted.
- The Examination Board makes the final decision on granting you an exemption for English language proficiency.
- Erasmus University Rotterdam does not offer any preparatory English courses.
- Information of the language test, based on CEF, organized by the Language & Training Centre of Erasmus University Rotterdam and tailored specially for our applicants, can be found here.
The eligibility of your prior education can only be determined after you have submitted an application and only after we have received all requested documents. Prior inquiries will be purely hypothetical. For this reason, we encourage you to officially apply for admission. You can also assess your eligibility yourself by taking a look at the detailed admissions criteria on this page. We have tried to make the criteria as transparent as possible.
No, it is a full-time programme.
No, the programme starts only once a year, in September.