I am a social anthropologist of sorts, interested in social and environmental (in)justices. I look at affective knowledge practices in the city, archaeology, science & technology, and policy & breakdown. How bodies know, and what they feel is worth keeping (and not) in times of climate catastrophe is of urgent concern.
I am a member of the Public Issues and Imaginaries team at Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences. I am affiliated with the Pandemic & Disaster Preparedness Center, an initiative from the Convergence of Erasmus University Medical Center, Delft University of Technology, and Erasmus University Rotterdam. I am also affiliated with the BePrepared Consortium for Pandemic Preparedness.
My project prepares a multi-sited living lab in my home borough of Rotterdam South in alignment with a multi-sited ethnography that knots local issues to translocal socio-politics. I combine volunteer work with my research on the everyday politics of city denizens. Conceptually, I draw on various ethnographic and sociological sources to situationally analyse existing (trans)local and social infrastructures in the stigmatized territory of Rotterdam South.
Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences
- Burg. Oudlaan 50, Rotterdam
- Helen Tibboel, Kevin Pijpers, GO (Gwendolijn Olivia) de Bruin & Semiha Denktas (2023) - The implementation of the sandpit methodology by research funding agencies: considerations regarding equity, diversity, and inclusion - Unknown
- Kevin Pijpers (2021) - Worlding Excavation Practices - Open Archaeology, 7 (1), 889–903 - doi: 10.1515/opar-2020-0177
- Kevin Pijpers (2020) - Grooving matter(s): ‘Taking measure’ through touch - Ephemera, 20 (3), 47-66 - [link]
- Kevin Pijpers (2019) - Degrowth as Social Movement and Economic Strategy - [link]
- Kevin Pijpers (2018) - Sensory Excavation Practices: Insights for Sustainable Degrowth
- Kevin Pijpers (2018) - Speculative Knowing: Lure of Entanglements in Excavations
- Kevin Pijpers (2017) - Haptic encounters with archaeological knowing : bodily practices in excavation - [link]
- Kevin Pijpers (2016) - Crafting Knowledge by Means of Touch during Archaeological Excavations
- Kevin Pijpers (2014) - Bodies, Sites and their Affectual Rhythms in Practices of Archaeology
- Kevin Pijpers (2014) - Hybrid Methods: Researching Messy Issues of Artisanal Science
- K.M.J.P. Pijpers (2018) - Early Career Researcher Conference Funding Award
- K.M.J.P. Pijpers (2012) - Graduate Teaching Fellowship
- K.M.J.P. Pijpers (2012) - PhD Scholarship