Admission requirements for Pre-master Media Studies
On this page, you will find more information about the entry requirements for the English-language pre-master's programme Media Studies.
You are eligible for the pre-master's Media Studies programme if you meet the following requirements:
- You hold a Dutch HBO degree with a good overall result, or an equivalent higher vocational qualification from an international institution, in the field of media and communication.
- You hold a Bachelor's degree from a recognised Dutch university programme or an equivalent qualification from an international institution, but you lack prior training in media and communication and/or social scientific research methods.
- You meet the language requirements.
Among candidates who meet the above requirements, a further selection is made according to:
- Connection between previous studies and the Media Studies programme
- International background and orientation
- Academic writing and analytical skills
- Grade Point Average (GPA)
All teaching is carried out in English. We must be convinced that you have sufficient fluency in written and spoken English to cope with the course from the start. We ask you to provide evidence of your command of English. You should include your test scores, if available, in the relevant section of the application form.
You meet the English proficiency requirement if:
- you have a Dutch ‘vwo’ diploma and grade of 7 or higher in English;
- you hold an International Baccalaureate diploma including English Standard Level (A) or English Higher Level (A or B);
- you hold a European Baccalaureate diploma including English as 1st or 2nd language;
- You are a native speaker of English (i.e. a national of one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and the United States of America) and you have obtained a diploma of secondary education in English for at least 2,5 years in one of the above countries; or
- You have obtained your diploma of higher education in English (the entire programme) in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (other than Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, South-Africa, the UK or the USA.
- We usually deem the level of English Bachelor programmes at West European or Scandinavian universities sufficient for exemption as well.
If you do not meet one of the above requirements, you may demonstrate proof of proficiency in English through any of the following tests:
- IELTS Academic with a minimum score of 7.0 overall. All sub scores should at least be 6.5.
- TOEFL iBT Internet based with a minimum score of 100. All sub scores should at least be 23.
- Cambridge C1 Advanced or Cambridge C2 Proficiency with a minimum score of at least 185.
Please note that the test may not be older than two years at the time of application. Also note that it takes several weeks before the results of the tests are known. Take this into consideration when you think of applying. Without the results, we will not be able to assess your application.
Deadlines for submitting proof of English proficiency:
- non-EEA students: no later than 15 April
- EEA students: no later than 15 May
For graduates of recognized academic programmes taught entirely in English, the obligation to take a language test may be dropped after considering their academic performance.