Why study Bachelor International Bachelor History
In this bachelor you study modern history, to find answers to the societal questions that politics, the media and citizens are grappling with today.
How can we explain Russian invasion in Ukraine, looking at the past? Why have so many European countries become so rich while African countries have remained poor? Why have jeans become such a popular fashion fabric in our society? What is the influence of movies such as Schindler’s List and Inglorious Bastards on our historical thinking?
As a history student you will learn to answer to these type of questions. In the EUR's international bachelor in History, you focus on societal, economic, political and cultural themes and not (as with many other programmes) historical periods. This lets you keep an eye on the big picture and enables you to see the links between historical and contemporary developments. If your interests reach beyond history alone, then this is the ideal programme for you.
The best history bachelor in the Netherlands
If you want to study history in the Netherlands, Erasmus University Rotterdam is the best choice, according to the Dutch 'Keuzegids 2020'. Our bachelor programme is particularly valued because of its dedicated teachers and because of the study load that is spread evenly over the four terms.
5 reasons to choose the International Bachelor History!
- History = cramming dates? Not at the EUR, where you study historical themes, rather than specific periods.
- Thanks to the small groups and the mentor system, you receive personal help with your studies.
- History at the EUR moves beyond the borders of the Netherlands: we focus on the history of Europe and the world.
- Studying history in Rotterdam means living in a city with an interesting past and a dynamic present.
- You will share the class room with students from all over the world - and have the opportunity to spend some time abroad yourself during an exchange.
Connecting today with yesterday
Focusing on themes lets you keep an eye on the big picture, which teaches you to establish links between historical and contemporary developments and learn not just to understand the past but also the issues facing society today. This is the ideal programme for you if your interest goes beyond history alone, if you are curious and want to learn how to connect yesterday with today.
Why choose IB History? Cindy will tell you!
Historians might not build bridges, save people from a burning house, or harvest a field, but the historical knowledge they collect, upon closer inspection, seems essential to understand people, the society we came to live in, and our very own lives.