Let us save you some time looking for answers: below are all the questions other international students ask most frequently about immigration matters.


  • If you will be living in the Netherlands for more than 4 months, you are obliged to register at the City Hall in the town in which you are living. For this, you need to make an appointment and show multiple documents. We also organise One Stop Shops, where you can register at City Hall (Rotterdam) on campus. See the orientation schedule for more information.

  • Please send us an e-mail with your name, student number and faculty, and we’ll send you instructions.

Visa or residence permit

  • Contact your faculty for more information on the next steps. Please note that we are only able to start the immigration procedure when you are admitted. 

  • This depends on the type of residence permit and your situation. Please contact us for further information and we’ll help you out.

  • We are unable to give you an indication on how long the process will take. We will however communicate a deadline to you based on your personal situation, and you need to start the application process 10 weeks prior start date of your study programme. Failing to start the procedures in time might cause serious delays in the immigration process and may lead to you not being able to travel to the Netherlands before the start of your study programme.

  • We are unfortunately not able to speed up the process.

Study Progress Monitoring

  • Due to Dutch migration policy, all non-EU/EEA students residing in the Netherlands with a residence permit for study purposes (with the exception of exchange students who stay in the Netherlands for a only a year or less), have to obtain at least 50% of the required number of ECTS every academic year. In case the 50% hasn’t been met, your permit might be revoked.

Changes to permit

  • As soon as you cancel your studies at EUR (via Studielink), we will have to notify the IND and as a consequence your residence permit will be revoked. You will have to leave the country within 28 days after IND deregistration date. If you continue your studies at EUR, we can start a new procedure for your residence permit (and - if applicable - visa).

  • We need to apply for a permit extension on your behalf at the IND. Residence permits for the purpose of study are issued for a specific period of time. The expiry date of your permit can be found on the front of your residence permit (‘geldig tot’). 

    You are strongly advised to submit your application for an extension two months before your current residence permit expires at the latest.

  • If you are living in the Netherlands based on a valid Dutch residence permit for another purpose than study, you need to change your permit into a student residence permit by contacting us.

  • If you’re switching to EUR from another university in the Netherlands and your residence permit is still valid for at least 6 months from the moment you start your studies, you need to take care of some practical matters. In case your residence permit expires within 6 months after you start your studies at EUR, and you intend to study with us for a longer period of time, we strongly therefore advise you to apply for an extension of your residence permit instead.

  • If you cancel your enrollment in Studielink, this could have consequences for your residence permit. We have to notify the IND if you are no longer enrolled at EUR. Contact us for more details. 

  • When moving in Rotterdam, you need to report your new address within 5 days at City Hall. You can find the procedure on the municipality’s website. If you will be moving to another place than Rotterdam, you should contact your local City Hall for information about arranging the change of your Dutch address.

After graduation

  • All non-EU/EEA students who are in the possession of a Dutch student residence permit need to consider a number of additional rules and regulations when they want to work or do an internship in the Netherlands.

  • If you are no longer enrolled, we will notify the IND. The IND will give you 3 months after the graduation date or until the expiry date on your card, whichever comes first.

    If you was enrolled at EUR until 31 August 2018 then your residence permit will be valid until 30 November 2018. Any date after 31 August 2018 then your residence permit will still be valid until 30 November 2018.

    If you want to stay in the Netherlands and work or do an internship, then make sure to apply for an orientation year.

  • Within 3 years after completing your studies, international students can apply for an orientation year during which you may work freely or do an internship or traineeship in the Netherlands without your employer having to apply for a work permit for hiring you. You do need to apply for the orientation year.

  • If you leave NL, your residence permit should be returned to the IND. There are 2 possible ways:

    1. You can hand in your residence permit card at the IND Front Office. Call 0880 430 430 to make an appointment. You will receive a proof of submission and a colour copy of your residence permit card;
    2. You can send your residence permit to the address below. Make sure that your residence permit is not valid anymore. This can be done by perforating or cutting your residence permit partially.  

    Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst, Bureau Documenten
    Postbus 7025, 8007 HA Zwolle
    The Netherlands


  • The first thing you need to do is to report the loss to the police and obtain an official police report. You need the police report for applying for a new residence permit.
    The procedure you need to follow to obtain a new residence permit depends on the expiry date of the permit you lost.

Receiving visitors

  • When having a valid Dutch study residence permit in place, you can travel within the EU/EEA. However, make sure your permit is still valid at the time of travelling. If not: extend your residence permit in time!

    We advise you to contact local immigration authorities if you would like to visit a country outside of the EU/EEA

  • If the extension of your residence permit is still in process with the IND and your new residence permit is not in place yet before you’re leaving on your trip, please contact the IND (call at 088 043 04 30) or the Dutch embassy abroad to obtain a “return visa” which enables you to travel back to the Netherlands after your trip.

  • If you are a non-EU/EEA student staying in the Netherlands with a residence permit, then your family/friends from home might need to apply for a visa and/or residence permit for the Netherlands as well. The university is not involved in the immigration procedures for family/friends visiting you, so make sure to carefully check this out yourself.

Tuberculosis check

  • You have to undergo the TB-check within 3 months of arriving in the Netherlands. If you haven’t done so, please do it as soon as possible. Please realise the IND can take measures if you wait too long!

Didn't find an answer to your question?