Admission requirements for Pre-master Arts, Culture & Society
Admission requirements for the pre-master Arts, Culture and Society
For promising candidates who do not meet all entry requirements for direct admission to the Master’s degree programme, we run a one-year pre-master’s programme.
- At least a Dutch ‘hbo’ degree (Dutch Higher Vocational Education) with a good overall result, or an equivalent higher vocational qualification from an international institution (university of applied sciences), in the field of arts and culture.
The pre-master is also suitable for university graduates of arts and culture studies and many related fields, as well as art schools, with insufficient training in sociology and research methods.
- You meet the English proficiency requirement if:
- you have a Dutch ‘vwo’ grade of 7 or higher in English;
- you hold an International Baccalaureate diploma including English Standard Level (A) or English Higher Level (A or B);
- you hold a European Baccalaureate diploma including English as 1st or 2nd language;
- you obtained at least 2,5 years of English language secondary education in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South-Africa, The USA, the UK or Ireland.
- If you do not meet one of the above requirements, you may demonstrate proof of proficiency in English through any of the following tests:
- IELTS Academic (International English language Testing System) with a minimum score of 7.0 overall. All sub scores should at least be 6.5.
- TOEFL iBT(Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 100. All sub scores should at least be 23.
- ITP-TOEFL (Institutional Testing Programme) offered by the Language & Training Centre at the EUR, or any other Dutch University. Minimum requirement: 627.
- Cambridge C1 Advanced or Cambridge C2 Proficiency with a minimum score of at least 185.
- Deadlines for submitting proof of English proficiency:
- non-EEA applicants: before 1 May
- EEA applicants: before 1 August
Please take the test well in time to meet the deadline. Allow some time to re-take the test, if necessary!
- English tests must not be older than two years at the time of application. If you have not yet taken a test, we recommend IELTS or TOEFL.
For graduates of recognised academic programmes taught entirely in English, the obligation to take a language test may be dropped after considering their academic performance.
The following criteria will also be taken into account during the admission process:
- connection between your previous studies and the Arts, Culture and Society specialisation,
- GPA (average grade bachelor),
- a clear and relevant letter of motivation, explaining why you want to participate in this programme,
- well-documented interest in the cultural sector,
- international background and orientation.
The assessment will be based upon your motivation letter, bachelor list of grades, curriculum vitae and a (previously written) paper.