Challenge yourself. Combine social-scientific training and hands-on research experience. Develop your own research interests. Prepare yourself for a PhD, or a research-oriented career outside of academia.
This two-year Master's of Science (MSc) Programme is specially designed for academically talented and driven students, who have a nose for research in sociology, media studies, and arts and culture studies. If you have demonstrated academic excellence and motivation during one of the regular Erasmus University one-year master’s programmes in Sociology, Arts and Culture Studies, Media, or Communication and your English meets the standard, you may apply for admission to an abridged version of the programme.
This advanced, research-oriented programme is offered by the Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication in collaboration with the Erasmus School of Social and Behavioral Sciences. It is taught by top researchers from the Erasmus Research Centre for Media, Communication and Culture (ERMeCC) and Erasmus University's Department of Public Administration and Sociology (DPAS), with occasional guest lectures given by renowned experts and visiting professors. The programme will train you to independently carry out high-quality research, at the same time giving you the chance to more clearly outline your own research interests, with the help of leading scholars in the field.
The Research Master not only prepares you for a PhD in sociology, arts and culture studies, media studies and related fields, but also offers a solid base for a career in applied research, policy, or consultancy.
Best Dutch research master in the field
The Research Master in Sociology of Media, Culture and the Arts is a Top Rated Master Programme, according to the Dutch 'Keuzegids Masters 2017'.
More reasons to choose Sociology of Arts, Culture and the Media in Rotterdam
- You will acquire advanced social-scientific research skills next to state-of-the-art knowledge in the field.
- This research master has proven to be a perfect stepping stone to a PhD position or a research oriented career outside of academia.
- You will receive hands-on, personalized instruction from an enthusiastic team of internationally renowned scholars who actively support you and who provide intensive and individual coaching.
- Erasmus University is a top-rated university, famous for its cutting-edge research in the fields covered in this degree programme.
- You will become part of a vital and cosmopolitan research community, including students and scholars from all of the world.
- In your second year you will have the opportunity to study one semester abroad at one of our international partner universities.
- You will be able to develop your professional network and get to know your future employer during your studies, for instance when participating in the research traineeship
More information about this programme:
Alumni about this research master
Due to the combination of cultural sociology and the sociology of media and the arts, I thought the research master was one of the best international programmes available.
I think the Research Master prepares you very well for conducting PhD research.
Here I would get to do almost exclusively my favourite form of sociology: not about how the world is, but about how different groups of people think the world is.