If you are driven by an academic curiosity about the arts, creative industries or economics; if you want to develop original and well-founded ideas about how to produce, sustain and disseminate culture; and if you are willing to share your knowledge and experience with your fellow international students, then the International Bachelor Arts and Culture Studies is the programme for you.
As an IBACS student, you approach art and culture from different angles, such as sociology and economy. This helps you to answer questions such as 'What is art worth and how is it presented to the public?', 'When do we call something 'kitsch'?' or 'How do cultural policies come into being?' Besides building a theoretical foundation, you will also put your broad knowledge about the arts and culture into practice during the compulsory internship.
Dual degree RASL
The IBACS programme is connected to many cultural institutions in and outside of Rotterdam: your future professional network. And did you know that you can also combine IBACS with a programme at the Willem de Kooning Academy or Codarts? The Dual Degree RASL is perfect for those who want to simultaneously practice and study the arts.
5 Reasons to choose for IBACS at the EUR
- You are looking for a programme of which the main focus is not the history of arts and culture , but for a programme that focuses on the economy, politics and sociology behind arts and culture.
- With the help of an internship embedded in your study programme you will already experience how it is to work in the arts and culture world.
- Especially in arts and culture it is important to see the bigger picture. This is why the programme applies an international approach. This means that the discussed perspectives on arts and culture are compared with each other on an international level
- Do you have an artistic talent, as well as a hunger for academic knowledge?
- Did we already tell you how much fun Rotterdam is? Rotterdam is innovative and diverse: the pop-up initiatives are flourishing like never before. The ideal environment for young culture lovers with big plans!
Why choose for IBACS? Check out the introduction video!
For me, IBACS is freedom, creativity, passion. Here, you never cease to dive into art in all its forms and manifestations. From art throughout the centuries to art in economics, each new course has something to surprise you with, and this is the best part of IBACS.
As it is an international course, I learn new perspectives on the world every day. IBACS is an open community where I get to enjoy the experience of studying abroad, while still studying in my home country.”
The IBACS programme instantly drew my attention with the wide coverage of courses, as my plan was not to become a specialized or professional artist.
Want to talk to an Arts & Culture student?
Chat via the Facebook App.
Questions for the Erasmus Student Service Center?
Chat via WhatsApp.