What does this study entail?
The International Bachelor Arts and Culture Studies in Rotterdam offers a unique approach to arts and culture. You will study the world of arts and culture from a sociological and economic view, but you will also be familiarised with theories on media, policy, marketing, and aesthetics.
You will study the dynamic arts and culture sector. In this world, creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship are key concepts. These characteristics do not only apply to artists, but they are also increasingly essential for you: the future arts and culture specialist that engages with art and culture behind the scenes.
The contemporary cultural landscape requires creative professionals with analytical skills and in-depth knowledge of cultural policy, arts education, art markets, audiences, heritage, cultural organisations, creative industries, and entrepreneurship in a global perspective. Besides building a theoretical foundation, you will also put your broad knowledge about the arts and culture into practice during the compulsory internship.
Is this the right programme for you?
In the International Bachelor Arts and Culture Studies you will learn to answer questions such as: why does one listen to Dua Lipa, while another loves Beethoven? And how come some have both in their playlist? What is the social value of art? And how is it presented to the public? And what do changing government subsidies, or the rise of private museums imply for the ways in which art is made accessible to the public?
If you are driven by an academic curiosity about the arts, creative industries, or economics and if you want to develop original and well-founded ideas about how to produce, sustain and disseminate culture, then the International Bachelor Arts and Culture Studies is the programme for you.
5 Reasons to study IBACS at the EUR
- You are looking for a programme that focuses on the economy, politics and sociology behind arts and culture;
- in arts and culture it is important to see the bigger picture, this is why the programme applies an international approach;
- Erasmus University Rotterdam has close contacts with cultural organisations in Rotterdam and beyond, which makes finding a cool internship to gain experience as a professional in the arts and culture world a whole lot easier;
- do you have an artistic talent, as well as a hunger for academic knowledge? You can combine IBACS with a programme at the Willem de Kooning Academy or Codarts;
- did we already tell you how much fun Rotterdam is? Rotterdam is innovative and diverse: the pop-up initiatives are flourishing like never before. The ideal environment for young culture lovers with big plans!
What our students say
Questions for the Erasmus Student Service Center?
Chat via WhatsApp.