What does this study entail?
Media, telecommunications, computer networks, and creative industries affect many aspects of daily lives and reach every corner of the world. They have had an increasing impact on political and cultural life, and on economies across the globe. The shift in our everyday experiences towards enhanced mediation has had enormous consequences. It has transformed international relations and business opportunities, but also citizenship and democracy, cognition, and culture, as well as people's personal and working lives. Communication and Media has thus become a vital and rewarding field of study, that will help you understand contemporary global society and to function successfully within it.
And that’s where IBCoM comes in, our interdisciplinary approach offers a strong basis in communication and media studies, while reaching out to other disciplines and study areas such as economics and business, psychology, political science, international relations, sociology, and arts and culture studies. As a result, upon graduation, you will have many opportunities for advanced studies within and beyond the field of communication and media.
Is this the right programme for you?
Why do people communicate the way that they do? How will technological developments like AI influence everyday life? What can you do to reach different cultures around the world? How do films like “Barbie” influence public debate? Do you want to find the cutting-edge answers to these questions? Then IBCoM is the bachelor for you!
Communication and media isn’t just a subject on its own, it’s intertwined with culture, sociology, politics and economics. As an IBCoM student, you will explore this interplay and develop original ideas on the transformational effects of communication and media. Think of its effects on international relations, businesses, democracy, and culture, as well as people’s personal and working lives.
As an IBCoM student, you will be part of our "IBCoMmunity". Interaction and connection between students is what makes IBCoM thrive as a programme. Your fellow students now will be your colleagues in the future. Therefore, IBCoM aims to be more than just an educational programme; it provides its students with opportunities to make friends, build professional networks, achieve personal growth, and develop their knowledge and skills in communication by engaging with all kinds of people and a variety of viewpoints.
5 reasons to study IBCoM at Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam (EUR)
IBCoM has not only an internationally highly diverse student population and staff, but also a truly international curriculum, which pays due attention to the international and intercultural dimensions of communication and media;
- next to a top-notch academic education, you will receive ample practical skills training through specialised workshops - e.g. in communication management and new media production - and the internship you will take in your second year;
- You will join our IBCoMmunity in which no student is anonymous or left behind. IBCoM provides student-centred teaching, personalised attention, and a wide range of social activities.
- you will have many extracurricular options that will help you to further develop your skills and interests, such as taking on an extra academic challenge in the IBCoM Honours Programme, writing for our IBCoMagazine, being a mentor and leader in the IBCoMpanion Programme, working as an Ambassador, serving on committees and councils, and more;
- studying in Rotterdam means studying in a young, dynamic metropolis which keeps developing rapidly. Sparkling skyscrapers, an impressive port, hip restaurants and food markets, renowned museums, special attractions, and awesome festivals are the direct of the “can do” mentality of the people of Rotterdam.
More distinctive features
IBCoM is the only programme that has been awarded the Distinctive Quality Feature Internationalisation (NVAO) and the European Certificate for Quality in Internationalisation (ECA), based on the international focus of its curriculum and the international diversity of its students and staff;
- IBCoM is the highest rated programme by international experts in the field;
- IBCoM students perform much better in their 1st year and throughout their studies than students in comparable programmes;
- IBCoM is highly appreciated by its students for both the academic education and the practical skills training that it offers;
- IBCoM has a strong focus on the international labor market;
- IBCoM offers all third-year students the option to study abroad for a semester at one of our partner universities worldwide. IBCoM has enough spots for all students to go on exchange, and there is at least one partner university on each continent;
Why choose IBCoM? Check out these videos!
Word from our students
Chat with a student
Ask our students about their studies, Rotterdam and student life.
Questions for the Erasmus Student Service Center?
Chat via WhatsApp.