Admission requirements for Pre-master History
For promising candidates who do not meet all entry requirements for direct admission to the Master’s degree programme, we run a one-year pre-master’s programme.
Students who have completed the following programmes at a university of applied sciences can apply for the pre-Master Global History and International Relations:
- Secondary teacher History
- Secondary teacher Citizenship
For other programmes at this level, the Examination Bord will assess if admission is possible.
Bachelor students who, due to the corona measures, are delayed in the final phase of their bachelor’s programme, and who meet the programme-specific preconditions, will be admitted to the master's programme as of 1 September anyway based on ‘conditional admission’. They are allowed to start their EUR master’s programme while concurrently working towards obtaining their final credits in the context of their bachelor’s degree.
More details on the Covid-19 admission information page.
You do not need to provide further evidence of English proficiency if:
- you have a Dutch ‘vwo’ grade of 7 or higher in English (final exam vwo-6);
- you hold an International Baccalaureate diploma including English Standard Level (A) or English Higher Level (A or B);
- you hold a European Baccalaureate diploma including English as 1st or 2nd language;
- you obtained at least 2,5 years of secondary education in Australia, Canada (other than Quebec), New Zealand, South-Africa, The USA, the UK or Ireland
- For graduates of recognised academic programmes taught entirely in English, the obligation to take a language test may be dropped after considering their academic performance.
If you do not meet one of the above requirements, you need to demonstrate proof of proficiency in English through any of the following:
- IELTS Academic (International English language Testing System) with a minimum score of 7.0 overall. All sub scores should at least be 6.5.
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 100. All sub scores should at least be 23.
- ITP-TOEFL (Institutional Testing Programme) offered by the Language & Training Centre at the EUR, or any other Dutch University. Minimum requirement: 627.
- Cambridge C1 Advanced or Cambridge C2 Proficiency with a minimum score of at least 185.
English tests must not be older than two years at the time of application. If you have not yet taken a test, we recommend IELTS or TOEFL.
The results need to reach us:
- before 15 June (non-EEA applicants)
- before 1 August (EEA applicants)
Make sure to plan the language test well in advance of the deadline and allow some time to re-take the test, if necessary!
Because the amount of places in the programme is limited, the following criteria will be taken into account during the admission procedure:
- academic writing skills
- analytical abilities
- average grade Bachelor
- relevant extracurricular activities
The selection will be based upon the motivation letter, a list of grades of the Bachelor, a curriculum vitae and a (previously written) paper.