Career opportunities for Research Master Sociology of Culture, Media and the Arts
More than half of all Research Master alumni proceed to do a PhD programme after graduation. For the first three cohorts of graduates, this percentage is 65%. It sometimes take time to find an appropriate PhD position and it is to be expected that a considerable number of recent graduates will embark on a PhD trajectory. Graduates of the Research Master follow PhD programmes in a variety of academic fields, including Sociology, Media and Communication, Public Administration, Geo Sciences, Arts and Culture Studies, History, Area Studies, and Economics and Business.
Many of our graduates have acquired a position as a PhD candidate or lecturer at Erasmus University as well as other internationally renowned universities in the Netherlands and abroad. They have embarked on a variety of PhD projects in different fields of study, underlining the scope and relevance of the programme. Research Master alumni have been accepted to PhD programmes at many prestigious universities, both within and outside of the Netherlands: for instance at the Erasmus University Rotterdam (NL), Leiden University (NL), University of Antwerp (BE), University of Leuven (BE). University of Leeds (UK), and the University of Oslo (NO).
Other job opportunities
The Research Master’s programme is also an excellent stepping stone to a career outside the university, such as in applied social research, cultural policy, and consultancy in the media sector or art world. Graduates of Sociology, Arts and Culture Studies, and Media Studies at Erasmus University have always been able to find employment in applied research, consultancy or public affairs. They are currently holding a wide range of positions in a variety of fields and organizations. To name a few:
- Researcher at the Dutch Ministry of Security and Justice, Research and Documentation Centre (WODC)
- Communications Consultant at the Centre for Youth and Family (NL)
- Internal Account manager (Marketing and Advertising) at Royal Brinkman, Rotterdam (NL)
- Head of External Affairs at the Institute for Humanitarian Development (IHUMD), Amsterdam (NL)
- Online Learning Consultant, University of Kaiserslautern (GE)
- Business Analyst, OnRecruit, Utrecht (NL)
- Data Integration Developer, Nationale Nederlanden (NL)
- Manager, German Academic Exchange Service, Bonn (GE)
- Founding Director, Changerism (think-and do-thank specialized in sustainability challenges) (NL)