Membership Young Erasmus Academy
Would you like to become a member of the Young Erasmus Academy? Read more about the selection criteria and procedure for this network of ambitious young researchers.
Membership of the Young Erasmus Academy (YEA) is for a period of five years, which commences at the start of a new calendar year. During a calendar year there can be a maximum of 25 YEA-members simultaneously. This year five till ten new members are appointed. This appointment is based on nomination and is preceded by a selection procedure.
Potential members can be invited for membership of the YEA network by the faculty deans of the EUR. Before membership can commence each potential member must be fully informed of the functioning and objectives of the YEA network.
- Membership selection by the deans must be based on the selection criteria for membership of ‘The Young Academy’ (see: Regulations Governing Selection The Young Academy, article 6). Laureates of the ‘Innovational Research Incentives Scheme’ and ERC-grants must be considered as members of the YEA network.
- The dean nominates candidates and notifies the Rector Magnificus of these nominations.
- The YEA network also nominates candidates and notifies the Rector Magnificus of these nominations.
- The Rector Magnificus finally decides which new members are appointed.
- This calendar year five till ten new members are to be appointed.
- Candidates who were rejected in the previous calendar year are allowed to be nominated again in the next calendar year.
Apart of the selection criteria for membership of ‘The Young Academy’ (see: Regulations Governing Selection The Young Academy, article 6), the following additional selection criteria apply when selecting new YEA members:
- Members must have a position at the Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Potential members must have earned their doctorate within the past 10 calendar years. This period can be extended to compensate for maternity/paternity leave by one year per child.
- The above stated period of 10 calendar years can also be extended when a potential member holds part-time positions in several clinical specialism programmes. In these cases an extension of five calendar years is allowed.
The deans must announce their YEA network membership nominations before September 1. This announcement is done via e-mail to: YEA@eur.nl. Every nomination is to be presented in a single pdf-file.
A nomination must contain the following:
- A letter in which the dean announces the nomination and describes his or her reasoning behind the nomination (this reasoning may also be written by a professor at the EUR).
- Short CV of the nominee with 5 key publications.
- Motivation letter by the candidate explaining A) why he or she wants to join YEA and why they are a good fit. B) in what ways they want to actively contribute to YEA. Evidence of earlier similar contributions will be highly valued. C) in their first year, new members will collaboratively carry out a project of their choice (for instance: a policy contribution at the EUR level or at the national level; an initiative for the theme “science and society”; an interdisciplinary project). In their motivation letter, the candidate can briefly provide motivated first-year project ideas.
An internal jury will consider each nomination and decide which candidates are to be appointed as members of the YEA network.