Up to date
Current facets (Pre-Master)
Always use up-to-date software
Since keeping your software up-to-date is one of the most important things you can do to keep your devices safe, here’s some information on how to install the most recent software on common devices.
iOS devices: iPad, iPhone, iPod
- Plug your device into a power source.
- From the device’s home screen, tap Settings > General > Software Update.
- Tap “Download and Install.”
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the update.
Note: iPad 2 and iPad (3rd generation) do not support iOS 10, the latest version of Apple’s mobile operating system. Since these devices have become obsolete, you’re advised to replace them when possible.
For more information on updating your iOS, visit Apple’s Support site.
- Open your device’s Settings.
- Tap About > System Updates or Software Updates and choose to update to the latest software version.
Note: The process to update software is different for each Android device. Instructions for updating software on your specific device should be available on Google’s Android Support page.
Windows devices: Personal software inspector
If you have an ‘@wEURk notebook’ provided by the university, software updates will be installed automatically. For your personal equipment using the MS Windows operating system, we advise to use Personal Software Inspector. The program will identify which software on your devices needs updating, and in most cases will also download or even install the update for you, or tell you where to get the update.
Flexera (Secunia) provides it’s personal software inspector free for non-commercial use. Personal Software Inspector (PSI) 3.0 is available here.
Windows 8 and more recent versions will automatically prompt you for OS upgrades, or you can download the most recent Windows version on the Microsoft website.
MacOS: Mac computers
- open the App Store app on your Mac,
- click Updates in the toolbar
- If updates are available, click the Update buttons to download and install them.
Brand new software & Operating Systems at a discount?
If an update isn’t enough or you need a new license, check out SURFspot. In this webshop, software is available with massive educational discounts for all EUR students and employees.