Entry visa

  • If you are a non-EU/EEA international student who will be studying in the Netherlands for more than 90 days, you should check to see if you need an entry visa (mvv) + Dutch student residence permit, or just a Dutch student residence permit (VVR procedure);
  • If you need both the entry visa (mvv) + Dutch student residence permit, the application will happen for both at the same time.

  • It is a sticker in your passport, issued by the Dutch embassy or consulate;
  • It is valid for 90 days, allowing you to enter the country and pick up your Dutch student residence permit;
  • You cannot extend the provisional residence permit (mvv) period of 90 days;
  • You have to pick up the provisional residence permit (mvv) at the Dutch embassy* in your area before coming to the Netherlands.
    • Without the provisional residence permit (mvv) you will not receive a Dutch residence permit once you are in the Netherlands.

  • It is an official Dutch government document that allows you to (temporarily) reside in the Netherlands legally during your studies;
  • It is always issued for a specific purpose of stay, in your case: study;
  • As long as your Dutch residence permit is valid you are free to travel from, and return to, the Netherlands; and make short trips to other Schengen countries.

  • You are unconditionally accepted to a programme at Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR), unless the condition is graduation from your current studies before your EUR programme starts;
  • Before we start the immigration application, you are able to provide documented proof that you have sufficient financial means to cover:
    • Your studies (the tuition fee differs per study programme);
    • The immigration fee;
    • The costs of living in the Netherlands (which is €950 for every month of your stay in the Netherlands).
  • You provide translations by a certified translator (e.g. notary) for all documents that are not in Dutch, English, French or German;
  • You agree to tuberculosis testing if required, and if needed treatment, upon arrival in the Netherlands;
  • You do not have a criminal record. Click here to sign the Antecedents certificate.
  • Chinese students: you have obtained a Nuffic certificate.
  • You obtain at least 50% of the required credits for each academic year. This is called study progress monitoring. Do you need a preparatory period (premaster)? You must then complete this programme within 12 months.

Your immigration procedure will be started by your faculty as soon as you’re (conditionally) admitted to your study program. Your immigration procedure will be started in Osiris cases, the student program of the Erasmus University Rotterdam (please check the downloads below).

We will send you more specific information about the immigration process once you have been officially admitted to one of our study programmes. The procedure will be as follows:

  • The provisional residence permit (mvv) + Dutch student residence permit application is a combined procedure;
  • EUR is your official sponsor and will arrange the application for your provisional residence permit (mvv) and Dutch student residence permit;
  • You must provide us with all the required information and documentation and pay the immigration fees on time, before we can start the process. We will send you an official invoice and payment instructions once you have been officially admitted to one of our programmes, but in the meantime you can read more about the payment procedure here. Make sure to double-check the payment details before transferring any amount of money!
    • IMPORTANT: if you are late, there may be delays in the immigration process! This could become a real problem if it prevents you from getting to the Netherlands and starting your programme on time.

Please note: we cannot predict how long the procedure will take. We therefore strongly advise against booking tickets to the Netherlands before your application has been approved and you have an appointment for collecting your provisional residence permit (mvv). *Some Dutch embassies and consulates have closed, meaning that you may have to travel out of your home country to collect your provisional residence permit (mvv). Only Dutch embassies and consulates that have a front office (FO) are authorised to issue provisional residence permits (mvv).

Account holderErasmus Universiteit Rotterdam
Account number (IBAN number)NL92ABNA0602496071
Account number (BIC code)ABNANL2A
Bank addressABN AMRO bank, Gustav Mahlerlaan 10, Amsterdam
Payment reference
[studentnumber]/yourfullname]/[dateofbirth (ddmmyyyy)]/[INDdeposit]
(example: 12345/johndoe/03051985/INDdeposit)

Orientation activities

Settle in as a new international student in Rotterdam!

Contact International Office EUR

We're here to help you out!

Do you need a tuberculosis test?

Compare @count study programme

  • @title

    • Duration: @duration
Compare study programmes