Admission requirements for Master Arts, Culture and Society
Admission to these Masters is based on academic merit and relevant experience. We seek to attract highly qualified candidates and there is considerable competition. Please take care with your application, so as not to compromise your chances of admission.
Admission criteria Arts, Culture and Society
- At least a Bachelor's degree from a recognised Dutch university programme with a good overall result, or an equivalent qualification from an international institution.
(Students who have not yet obtained their degree may already apply if they expect to graduate before starting with this Master).
- Training in arts and culture studies, combined with sociology or another relevant social science background such as political or organisational science, marketing, or didactics, at university level.
- Academic training in empirical research methods is required.
- We are also looking for a sustained and well-documented interest in the cultural sector, as evidenced by academic training or practical experience.
You do not need to provide further evidence of English proficiency if:
you have a Dutch ‘vwo’ grade of 7 or higher in English (final exam vwo-6);
you hold an International Baccalaureate diploma including English Standard Level (A) or English Higher Level (A or B);
For graduates of recognised academic programmes taught entirely in English, the obligation to take a language test may be dropped after considering their academic performance.
you obtained at least 2,5 years of secondary education in Australia, Canada (other than Quebec), New Zealand, South-Africa, The USA, the UK or Ireland
you hold a European Baccalaureate diploma including English as 1st or 2nd language;
- If you do not meet one of the above requirements, you need to demonstrate proof of proficiency in English through any of the following:
- IELTS Academic (International English language Testing System) with a minimum score of 7.0 overall.
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 100.
- ITP-TOEFL (Institutional Testing Programme) offered by the Language & Training Centre at the EUR, or any other Dutch University. Minimum requirement: 627.
- Cambridge C1 Advanced or Cambridge C2 Proficiency with a minimum score of at least 185.
- English tests must not be older than two years at the time of application. If you have not yet taken a test, we recommend IELTS or TOEFL.
- The results need to reach us before 10 August. Therefore, take the test well before the summer holidays. Allow some time to re-take the test, if necessary!
You will also be admitted to the programme if you have successfully completed the pre-master. Please consult these pages to learn more about the application process if you have already completed the pre-master for Arts, Culture and Society.
A further selection is made based on the following criteria:
- Connection between previous studies and the Arts, Culture and Society programme
- International background and orientation
- Academic writing and analytical skills (as evidenced by your academic paper or bachelor thesis).