Develop an individual-based modelling framework for spatial and social transmission networks, combined with novel model concepts for evolution of monogenic and polygenic drug resistance in helminths, and detection of residual or returning helminth infections through novel diagnostic tests.
Globally, parasitic worm infections still affect the health and socio-economic status of over one billion people. Fortunately, these infections are now being targeted for elimination. The researcher will develop new methods to better understand and predict how mass drug administration can lead to elimination of parasitic worm infections.
Innovational Research Incentives Scheme Veni, Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO/ZonMw)
Involved Researchers & Departments/Institutes
- Dr. Luc Coffeng - Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC Rotterdam
- Coffeng LE, Vaz Nery S, Gray DJ, Bakker R, de Vlas SJ, Clements ACA. Predicted short and long-term impact of deworming and water, hygiene, and sanitation on transmission of soil-transmitted helminths. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2018 [in press].
- Vinkeles Melchers NVS, Mollenkopf S, Colebunders R, Edlinger M, Coffeng LE, Irani J, Zola T, Siewe JN, de Vlas SJ, Winkler AS, Stolk WA. Burden of onchocerciasis-associated epilepsy: first estimates and research priorities. Infect Dis Poverty 2018;7(1):101. http://dx.doi.10.1186/s40249-018-0481-9
- De Vos AS, Stolk WA, de Vlas SJ, Coffeng LE. The effect of assortative mixing on stability of low helminth transmission levels and on the impact of mass drug administration: Model explorations for onchocerciasis. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2018;12(10):e0006624. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0006624
- Farrell SH, Coffeng LE, Truscott JE, Werkman M, Toor J, de Vlas SJ, Anderson RM. Investigating the effectiveness of current and modified WHO guidelines for the control of soil-transmitted helminth infections. Clin Inf Dis 2018;66(suppl.4):S253-S259. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciy002